should i do a saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok so iv always wanted a saltwater tank and iv been doing a little research on equipment and since then my confidence level a gone way down like your digging to china at the beach and never coming back. I would love to do a reef tank in my 26 gallon bow front aquarium, but all this research i am see makes me think that its almost impossible to have a reef tank unless you are home sitting infront of the tank watching it 24/7. and everyone is telling me its really really really really really really hard to do. like i understand its going to be very expensive but i feel like im going to put all this money in and the tank its going to just crash....so is it truly really really really hard to do a salt water tank, or will i have a chance? (i am a full time student and i work about 30 hours a week...only at night on wkends - thursday through saturday)...some one please give me advice im desperate on deciding if i should just stick to freshwater or try saltwater...because i dont want to waste all my money.:confused:

I'm certain that if you take your time, read, and research that you can do it just fine. The key is patience. Check out our articles section and read a bit.

Well if you have the drive to search out this site and contact us you have the drive to do a saltwater tank. It's not really that hard, but you do have to have patience,patience,patience,patience, patience....Okay...I just copied and pasted the patience and that wasn't hard. Same as with a SW tank. Read up on getting started ask a few Questions of what you don't understand and take it one step at a time. Lights are the most expensive part of this hobby. So if you don't do light hungry animals...most hard corals and clams ect then you dont need the most expense lights, but you do limit yourself. If you start to automate then the hobby starts to get really expensive, Look on Cregs list and reef clubs and you can find real bargains and save yourself lots of money.
So please read up and get your feet wet. It's an amazing hobby, and it gets easier all the time.

I would suggest a marine tank! And this forum is the reason why mine is doing so well 10 months later!

I would save up some money before starting though. You will WANT an RO/DI unit first and foremost. It will really REALLY help you get past the first "hump" IME. A lot of people seem to give up because algae completely takes over their tank. They put in some real effort cleaning, but due to tap water use, it keeps coming back and they give up. Nothing like being able to put pure water into your tank at any hour of the day!

You wont believe the things that pop up in a marine tank. Youll have to see it to believe it!

Matt

Definitely do it! It isn't that much work, after the initial setup it's all maintenance. Adjustment here, new pump there, water changes, it's not that difficult. Just make a maintenance schedule and stick to it, you'll be fine.

You'll be fine. If you really put some effort into doing some research, there shouldn't be any problems. I wouldn't worry about school either. I spend most of my time at school, barely seeing home except to shower some weeks, but I make sure to set some time aside for tank maintenance.

Go for it. :)

I think the main part is just taking your time. A lot of people get anxious and they want to rush things, but the truth is, the more you rush things, the crappier your end result will be. I've seen tanks that have been planned over MONTHS and have turned out to be beautiful, just as the creator had intended in the first place. But i have also seen tanks of people who have had little to no planning, and just started stocking as soon as their cycles were done, sometimes even before their cycle was done, and the tanks turn out looking like junk and their rocks just look like.. a pile of rocks.

When you first start out, chances are your tank won't look so nice, unless you've had past experience, but that shouldn't discourage you. Nothing is set in stone, and you can change and rearrange your tank as many times as you want until it is to your liking. And remember, this hobby is ALL personal preference. Do what makes you happy, and what looks good to you. Don't fall in to any of the hypes you see, because then your tank won't really be yours. ;)

thanks guys! iv been researching alot, still debating between a salt and planted freshwater aquarium, all these terms in the books iv been reading are like greek to me lol but ill keep reading. itl take me a while to buy all the stuff, prob a couple months before i get started lol....im not sure what to start buying?! :p

also if any one could post where i could get any equipment for less so maybe i could save a little would be great! :)

the you not having much time part might actually help with the saltwater since it needs to go so slow anyways. If you go with saltwater id at least buy your live rock (if your getting some) to let it begin cycling. You could put it in your tank and just do water changes when you have the time It will take at least a month to cycle anyways.

the you not having much time part might actually help with the saltwater since it needs to go so slow anyways. If you go with saltwater id at least buy your live rock (if your getting some) to let it begin cycling. You could put it in your tank and just do water changes when you have the time It will take at least a month to cycle anyways.

don't forget you'd need an ammonia source, so you'd need some raw shrimp as well. Btw, I'm following along haha :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom