Should I do a water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
If anyone has been paying attention you are proabably sick to death of me asking about my ammo levels. Here I am again, week 7 of cycle:

Last 4 test results:

Date-----Ammo----Trite----Trate
4/17------.2---------.05------7
4/20------.2---------.1-------9
4/24------.2---------.025-----5
4/28------.2---------.01------5

PH 8.1
temp 79
SG 1.023

All 3 have seen their spike and are dropping. Ammo has been around .2 since 4/10. How can it not be budging while trite and trate are falling??? I'm baffled :?
It's a 75g tank, I started with 2 raw shrimp (long gone) then after about 3 weeks added 40lbs lr.com rock to my ~70 lbs base rock.
I'm thinking about doing a 50% water change just to give it a bump - either direction, at this point I don't care. Is that a good idea or no? At this point (besides topoffs) the water has been in there for close to 2 months.
One thing I asked about earlier was my single turbo snail (added 4/15). He produces HUGE ammounts of poo. Could this be keeping my ammo from dropping? Yesterday I caught him as he was waking up - beneath him there were no less than 18 pieces of his excrement (yes, I actually counted snail s--t ... is this a great hobby or what, wait till I tell the guys at work, they'll be so jealous :D ) Every time he sleeps he creates piles like that, is that normal for a turbo?

Anyway, back to my main question. Should I or should I not do a large (or even small) water change????

-Steve

When you added the lr in week 3 you rebooted the cycle. New live rock has to cycle all over again especially if it is uncured. You are supposed to wait till the amm and nitrite are at zero then do a large water change. Then add your live things. Right now your numbers look good and your trates are not high. It is alright that your water has been in there for 2 months without a change. Go ahead and wait a few more days and your amm and trites should go away. Then you can do the large water change and start adding your animals a few at a time. Once you get animals you can never add large amounts of uncured live rock again. One piece at a time or all fully cured rock only.

Back
Top Bottom