Should i get a circulation pump or powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting my 75 gallon reef tank soon. What should I get between a circulation pump and a powerhead? And what kind? And how many?

i would get two powerheads, I like koralia's. They should be the 1400's or better in my opinion. I have 2 1400's running in my 90 which is fish only and is the same footprint as your tank. :)

The koralias are specifically made to move alot of water, only cicrculation pumps I have ever seen are the maxijet ones with the attachment and they dont move as much water. You want the liverock to be the filtration and to do that you need very good water flow. You also dont want any debris piling up anywhere in the tank on the sand so the powerheads will keep that from happening if they move enough water and are angled correctly.

Could you look up the one that you think would work for me and reply with the link?

http://www.petmountain.com/product//11442-522698/koralia-koralia-evolution-circulation-pump.html?gclid=CNr8zKahu7oCFYSd4AodkF4AVw

theres 2 options. the 1150's and the 1500's. if you go with 2 1150's that's 2300gph or roughly 30x turnover. if you go with the 1500's that's 3000gph or 40x turnover. it really depends on what type of coral you plan on keeping. if you are shooting for SPS and higher-flow corals, you'd prob be best with the 1500's. if you aren't set on packing oyur tank full of SPS and the likes, you could do the 1150's. heck if you aren't sure get one of each lol. either way theres a link and I don't really think you can go wrong with the Koralia Evo's. only thing I will say is that there is a small rubber bumper on the inside of the front face plate...do NOT lose that when taking the faceplate off. it ensures that the ph runs in the correct direction.

Back
Top Bottom