Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
should i go saltwater?

I got a 38 gal. tank and i have it setup it currently have freshwater in it. But no fish i was considering making it a saltwater tank. I dont know much about saltwater tanks what do i have to do to make it saltwater? Do i have to buy any new equipment? Is it hard to keep?

hockeydude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Well you would need salt mix, hydromoter, salt test kits to start with.

Depending on what you have in the bottom of your tank if its gravel then you will probably be better changing that out to crushed coral or sand. I would suggest 4-45lbs of live rock aswell for not only filtration but also look. You should pickup a decent skimmer to add to the filtration.

If you plan on wanting corals then you will need to upgrade your lighting because no doubt you have a single florecent tube. A double florecent fixture would be ok for just the live rock but corals need more potent light.

Is it hard to keep? Not really. But there is a level of devotion that you will need. Regular water changes, daily to bidaily topoffs of evapration for example. The fish are much more expensive but the trade off is you keep less fish in the tank.

What fish are drawing you toward salt?

If your serious then there is no replacment for a good saltwater book. Check out our saltwater library linked above for some suggested books. I like the book entitled "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner. This is a great book for the person getting into the hobby.

Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
thanks a lot for your help
hockeydude15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Keeping the answer very simple, I would say yes go with sw if you have both the money and patience. Expect to spend 3-5x as much as fw in initial setup. You have to consider a skimmer, lr, salt, tests and RO water. And be prepared, some inhabitants require a 3, 6 or 12 month established tank. Realize its much, much more than just mixing salt and powering up - then you will be one step ahead in deciding. Read, read, and read more. Enjoy
srgetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
This is a basic article on how to set a tank up. Remeber, this is by no means comprehensive. Its meant as a stepping stone...something to give you an idea of what to expect. Its a short, informative read...

This is one that explains how to plan your tank and get the most/best for your money. Also a good read...

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just made the switch from fresh to salt myself, and I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have the knowledge or experience of most people on this forum, but I can tell you that it is fun and extremely addictive. IMO if you liked fresh water you'll love salt water.

ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com