Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
David....do you have a sump set up yet? I had alot cloudyness too but once I got my over flow and returns running the movement of water settled it all almost overnite...within a day or 2 it was clear
PH are good but they just move water around....the overflow and sump will create a circular affect and allow your sump to trap the extra stuff floating in the water

Old 06-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well Pearson, you got me! Still building the sump. LFS is helping me out by ordering the baffles for me (local glass company wouldn't do it). Hoping to get it all done this weekend.

At this point I can live with the cloudiness... nothing else in there anyway. I just hope it doesn't hurt the cycling, though I can't imagine that it will.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
lol....dont tell the local glass store what your doing....just take them the measurements and thickness and they will cut it for u
maybe cheaper then the LFS
Old 06-16-2005, 09:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well local glass store has stuff on backorder and can't get to it for another week. The guy at the lfs is actually being really cool and getting a friend of his that does acrylic to just cut to my measurements. Won't be expensive at all.

I have a really good LFS that takes care of me.

Think I have one of the few...
Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

How come it took 5 days to fill the tank from your RO/DI filter? Are they slow when it comes to output then? Also, what can I expect to spend if I want to buy a RO/DI filter? I filled up my tanks with tap and am using bottled water from the local water store for top offs, and I am wondering if the local water store has too much filtration, I know it's more than just RO/DI, I think it's UV and carbon and 1 or 2 other filters which I will identify next visit there...
Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually, there is another thread where RO/DI units are discussed... you should check it out. I think that mine might actually be defective (another person is having the problem too). Mine was supposed to pump out 100 GPD, but that has not been the case.

Can't remember what mine was, but I think around $160 on ebay.

So many people have had problems with algae and cyano on this site after using tap water, that I figured it was worth chewing off my fingers and being patient for my silly RO/DI unit to finally fill the tank.

Someone may want to chime in, but I'm not sure your local water store could filter "too much."

David
"Filling life one slow gallon at a time..."
Old 06-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I also started my tank up yesterday. I didn't wash the sand so when I added the water there was foam and the water is also cloady. I'm hoping within a few days it would be clear.

Update us when your tank clears. I think mine might take longer since I didn't rinse it.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Got it, thanks. I understand it better now.

Tags
cycle, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com