Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Well - the situation progresses. I got home from work today and my friend (the one who picked out the first maroon) had gone to another fish store and purchased a sizeable anemone and a smaller maroon (about 1/2 size). He 'floated' both bags and let the first maroon nose about the bags until she calmed down. Then he let the anemone out and waited until she got used to that - though she wasn't really sure what to do with it. Then he let the smaller maroon out. She immediately came over for a look but wasn't mean at all. Now they are swimming around the tank together and both inspecting the anemone....

Happy ending to a scary story.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congrats!

Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks! And another small update.. they have 'rearranged' the anemone to sort of sit between two live rocks, one with a bit of a cave and now the male seems to be digging at the sand... I got lucky!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marilyn,

It sounds like you may be on your way to establishing pair or at least two that may co-habitat. I would caution you to keep a close eye on them as things can still turn south as they mature.

If they are both still small(juvenal) and similar in size, I say you have a pretty good chance of establishing a pair. A Maroon clown's sex is not determined until the are older, so if this has not happened yet getting a pair is more likely. As they grow one will start to grow larger and that will be the female. She could get up to twice as big as the male. Maroon clowns are one of my favorite fish and I was lucky enough to get a pair from a couple of juveniles.

I am assuming you are new to the hobby based on previous posts. If this is a new tank the fact that you have an anenome concerns me. Conventional wisdom is that a tank should be at least a year old before you try anenome as they do require very good water conditions and specific lighting.

What kind of anenome do you have?

If you describe your set-up I know there are plenty here who will help.

Here is an article on acclimation:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=18

This article came from the home page under "Articles" and there are plenty more.

I wish you the best of luck and just remember with this hobby be patient and do your research. You are in the right place to start. Keep us posted on your clowns.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
they have 'rearranged' the anemone
For the record the Anemone will "rearrange" itself traveling until it finds the perfect flow, light and height for its liking. There's no pinning those down. If it doesn't settle in then it is not happy in the tank and you should try to find out why. Moving it back to a location that you like won't help because it will move to where it wants to be anyway (Mine has been in the back of my tank since I got it a week and a half ago).

If you have any powerheads in your tank that do not have a sponge on them now is the time to fix that. They frequently end up wandering into the power heads and getting killed that way. Such an event will devastate your entire tank.

It will expand and contract. Just make sure that you watch it for a pattern to make sure that you know if it starts failing.

Glad to hear that your clown pairing worked out so far. Good luck with them!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:05 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am new to this... and rapidly losing faith in the guy at the fish store! I told him I was new and was hoping for sound advice.

My set up (it was gifted to me so I don't know all the details...) is a 75 gal tank with two big "Nemo" filters (you know the kind that spin around on the inside - the main difference being these both have like mesh baskets over the intake.) I have a bubble stone, base rock, live sand and several large live rocks. I have three other not so live rocks as well. My crew includes 7 hermit crabs, 12 snails, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 chocolate chip starfish, one blue damsel, one domino damsel and now two maroon clownfish and an anemone...

The anemone has sort of put his foot through a gap in a couple of the stones and is over twice the size it was when it came home. The fish have taken right to it (yes, all the fish) and it really takes over one end of the tank. I wish I would have known about waitng. All my tests were perfect for a couple of months after adding live rock and before adding fish. And to be perfectly honest with you it is still perfect. I know that is probably because there are 4 fish in a 75 gal tank...

I would LOVE advice!!! I have switched fish stores and then new guy was the one who recommended the anemone so I am worried that perhaps I am not getting the right direction. I would love to add more live rock, some additional little critters and maybe another fish. What do you all recommend???

Thanks in advance!
Marilyn
Old 05-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn
What do you all recommend???
I'll tell you what helped me...

1) The Conscientius Marine Aquarist: A Comonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner

2) Read the articles section on this site. Then read every post you have time to read! There is sooooo much information here. Do searches on everything that you can think of -- if you have an anenome, do a search on anenome, etc etc. You'll learn a ton.

3) Ask ask ask! The folks here at AA are a-w-e-s-o-m-e!!! Stick around & you'll learn everything you need to know!

Old 05-06-2005, 01:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
chocolate chip starfish
That is definitely something you don't want to keep in a reef. They will eat corals and just about anything else they can catch. I'm not sure if a CC star will eat an anemone, but i wouldn't be surprised if they do. Hopefully someone else can tell you for sure. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:21 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also keep in mind anemones are photosynthetic and therefore require proper lighting. You will need atleast 4-5watts of light per gallon of aquarium water, maybe more depending on what type of anemone you have.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chocolate chip star should go. Before I knew better I had one and it did attack my anenome. You said you inherited the setup, how old is it then?

I concur on the lighting depending on the type of anenome you have. I maintain rock flower and condalactis anenome with less than 2 wpg, but they do not require much lighting and fish are not prone to form a relationship with them. Any anenome that the clowns will take to such a a bubble tip will require 3-5 wpg ideally.

The filtration you described might be a concern. Do you have a protein skimmer? If not I would recomend one. If you are going the reef route you will probably need to revise your filtration.

As previously stated this is AA is a great place to get info. Ask questions and do your research.

This site may also help with some identification and basic information on future purchases:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

I would be curious to know what kind of anenome you have.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, maroon clown, mate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com