Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

should I try to get a 'mate' for a maroon clown?

Newbie Question! I have recently acquired a maroon clown. I had heard that clownfish are better if kept in pairs and quite honestly there are only two other fish in my tank (both damsels). I feel a bit sorry for him/her and am thinking about getting him a friend. My local fish guy doesn't inspire confidence so I am seeking feedback here.

Great forum by the way. Have learned so much!

Thanks in advance - Marilyn

Old 05-04-2005, 01:57 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to born2chill
The general consensus around here is if you are considering a pair of clowns, buy them at the same time. You don't really need to adhere to this policy with the gentler occeleris or percula clowns, but maroon clowns are mean fish. They are very aggressive and are known to fight one another to the death. They are also very territorial. I wouldn't chance adding another maroon unless you have a rather large tank, 90 gallon or larger.

60 lbs aragonite sand
2 maxijet 1200 powerheads
Eheim 2026 Professional II Canister Filter
Aquac Remora Pro skimmer
300 watt heater
yellow tang, Large Blue Hippo Tang, Tomato clown, yellow watchman goby, royal gramma, 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 7 Mex. turbo snails,
2 peppermint shrimp, 10 nas. snails
large candy cane, supercolored zoos.

30 gal QT
2 penguin 200B HOT filters
150 watt heater
maxijet 600 ph
Bicolor Angel, Clown Tang
born2chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree, everything I've read says if you want a pair of maroons to buy them as a bonded pair due to aggression. I wouldn't chance it.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

the maroon that is in your tank currently will kill the one you try to put in there.

no maybe, will

maroons are mean, mine jumps up and hits the glass top of the tank, rearranges corals like he likes them, bites me and has ripped both of the pinchers off of my CBS at different times.

So I would probably say leave him solo.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to AA!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
zacdl

Wow Maroons are COOL.
Sounds like quite a personality. Can I add a Marron later on down the road after I have added a couple of "regular" clowns?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacdl
Can I add a Marron later on down the road after I have added a couple of "regular" clowns?
I think you figure since the other clowns have set territories they should be ok, but I don't think that works with maroon clowns.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a true perc when I added my very large maroon (5") and she never bothered it at all (of course it was there first). She acted like it didn't exist and always pals around with my Yellow and Purple tangs. Those three are always together now and inseperable.

If you put the old maroon in QT with the new maroon at the very same time you may have better luck getting them to mate and not be territorial. I would get a relatively small second to try for one that is still a male. Get one with a good return policy though as it may not work. At least you'd be able to it out relatively easily should things go south. You may need to rearrange your rock in the main before putting them back though.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks All! I might have to talk to my local fish guy. I am only starting to put in fish (75 gal tank) and other than two damsels this clown is the first fish. I had told my fish guy I was looking for a peaceful community fish to add to the tank. Guess I got the wrong fish... I may try to take it back and get something a bit nicer...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't have experiance with Maroons but they are territorial and probably the meanest of anemone fishs. Maroons can be paired up when bought seperatly but's a very intense for you and the maroons.

Basically you will want to seperate the male from the female while in the same tank. You can put the male inside a critter keeper so the female will be able to see, smell the male but can't harm him or use a tank divider to seperate the two maroons. What you are trying to achieve is to calm the female down and have her get use to the idea of the male being around. After the female calms down you can release the male, the amount of time varies per situation, hours to days. If the female continues her relentless attack seperate the the two again and try again later. Sometimes they wont pair up and one of them needs to be returned. If you do get a male make sure it's a lot smaller than the female.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, maroon clown, mate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com