should I vacuum sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

huey112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about a 3 inch sand bed and I cycled with live rock and a shrimp the tank has been up for sometime now and I was wondering if I should vacuum my sand to get all the dead stuff that fell off and to clean my sand. I had live sand.

I have 1 sand sifting starfish 4 turbo snails and 8 hermit crabs. I plan on getting more. I have 2 fish. In a 70 gal tank. I'm just taking it slow. The only reason I ask is because my lfs said I should.

I won't the clean up crew will take care of it. Get other types of snails for sand(narsissus, cerith). Turbos are better for glass.

My turbo's do great on rock but they aren't doing so great on the glass in a 10 gallon. And there is two of them.

I would get a bunch of blue leg hermits. In a 70gallon you could get a couple more dozen easily. They do a great job picking junk off your rock and out of your sand. They do a great job. I would stay away from regular hermits though.

There are sand sifting snails that might help you out as well. I agree with AR15 guy about the hermits. You can never had too many hermits... if you do, they will just kill and eat each other.

I only had about 8 blue leg hermits to start with. 2 have died in about 2 weeks. I think it was because I did not have any extra shells in the tank. I have some extras now so hopefully they won't keep dieing. I don't know what else it would be. Because everything else in the tank is doing great. I am going to have to get an algea shrubber since my turbo snails cannot keep the glass clean. It is cyano to 8O

4 Turbos is not enough to keep up with the glass. I have about a dozen in my 120 and they are only getting to about 1/3 -1/2 of the algae on glass. I think I read somewhere a tank could support 1 snail for every 2 gallons. Even at 1 per 5 gallons that would still be another 8 snails.

Back
Top Bottom