Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

should lights be on during cycling?

I've heard both ways just wanting to here what u guys think should the lights be on or off during cycling and try and tell me y thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

Off. Save the life on your bulbs. They DO NOT need to be on at all during a cycle. It won't benefit you if you have your regular light cycle going while cycling the tank.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0
Off. Save the life on your bulbs. They DO NOT need to be on at all during a cycle. It won't benefit you if you have your regular light cycle going while cycling the tank.
Ok thanks
Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
+1. lights off. this is a time when your tank will be full of nutrients. an abundance of nutrients + light = rapid algae growth.

i would love to hear the reasoning behind leaving the lights on while the tank is cycling.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
+1. lights off. this is a time when your tank will be full of nutrients. an abundance of nutrients + light = rapid algae growth.

i would love to hear the reasoning behind leaving the lights on while the tank is cycling.
Don't quote me on this but I think the reasoning behind y I've been told to leave them on b4 was to let the algea grow to give your cuc a welcome home but I agree with leaving it off
Old 02-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure bones View Post
Don't quote me on this but I think the reasoning behind y I've been told to leave them on b4 was to let the algea grow to give your cuc a welcome home but I agree with leaving it off
Yeah i've been cycling my first tank and through the research i've done with these forums is that you don't require the lights on during the cycle. Only thing you're going to win yourself is a trip to the lfs for a bulb :P
Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyz0os

Yeah i've been cycling my first tank and through the research i've done with these forums is that you don't require the lights on during the cycle. Only thing you're going to win yourself is a trip to the lfs for a bulb :P
Yea same here just wanted to hear some opinions
Old 02-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure bones View Post
i think it's because they feel that the live rock needs light to survive, when it does not.
if that CUC theory was true, wouldn't it make sense just to skip the CUC and leave the light off then?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
if that CUC theory was true, wouldn't it make sense just to skip the CUC and leave the light off then?
Assuming the theory is right...At some point your going to have to run your lights so by running a few hours of light during cycling you have food for your CUC.

That being said I think once you put stuff in there and start running your lights the CUC will have plenty of food very fast!!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

but as i said, the nutrient level is high during the cycle. it's not supposed to be high after that point. if you keep the water clean you won't have a need for a cleanup crew. furthermore, if you don't keep the water clean, a cleanup crew isn't going to help anyway. ultimately, you'll have to lower the nutrient level to correct what ever side effects are brought on by bad husbandry practices.

Tags
cycling, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com