Should Protine Skimmer Run while Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamiewalder75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there i have been cycling for about 2 or 3 weeks now and have had protine skimmer running. ammonia is showing 0.6 and the PH is about 8.3 nitrite is 0.3 and nitrate is less then 5 on the tests. i have given the tank a small dose of extra bacteria today to help it along and the question is still in the back on my mind, should it be running or is it going to prolong the cycle. oh just in addition i have had a redish type alge about a week ago and this week now a brown datome i think not sure. any answers would be helpful, am i doing ok.

I normally leave skimmers off during the cycling period so it isn't prolonged. You could try a 25% water change (gravel vacuum the top substrate layer) and see if your NH3 goes down.

I ran my skimmer during my cycle. I cured my rock for several weeks in my garage, wherein I ran my skimmer during that period as well. Does it prolong the cycle? perhaps, I can't speak for sure.

When you say you added an extra dose of bacteria, what exactly did you add? You need to provide an ammonia source to feed the cycle.

Diatoms are normal for a new tank as they eat at the excess silicates that are in brand new tanks. The reddish stuff I assume to be cyano, which is another common phase in breaking in a new aquarium.

While you're cycling, don't run the lights. The bacteria don't need it, and the high/excess nutrients plus lots of lights can lead to crazy algae issues.

i am in my cycling period as well.. so what is being said is that you should not turn on the lights or the skimmer in this period?

i am in my cycling period as well.. so what is being said is that you should not turn on the lights or the skimmer in this period?

lights-no skimmer-optional

I ran my skimmer during cycling also and went full readiness at 1 month. Running the skimmer is almost a personal choice type thing. I did it to "season" it to the water and "flush" it out. like i said.. that was my choice and the path i took. no fish or inverts were harmed in the add on period. (adding them to the tank)

okay.. so far i have 30lbs of LR an airstone and a skimmer running. should i add anything to the tank for the cycling period... and so everyone knows im no where close i just set up the tank 3 days ago but im just trying to figure out if i am making everything run correctly.

Some people put a shrimp in the tank to get some bacteria brewing, and to help the cycle start faster. The airstone isn't needed, unless you like the look of it. Your skimmer should make enough bubbles to oxygenate the water. Do you have test kits yet?

i do have test kits.. but after looking at a bunch of articles on here i think im going to go to the LFS tomorrow and buy a new test kit i think you call it a AP kit. sounds like that will be the best for this whole situation. and do you think the airstone might help circulate the water any better cause i dont really like the look of it right now. maybe when i get some fish in a month or so. and i am also going to get a raw shrimp tomorrow cause it sounds like one of the easiest ways to go on with this.

and thank you for the help and future advise i will receive from anyone :D

The air stone won't do much for circulation. If you don't have powerheads, that should be on the top of the list of things to get. Calculate 10-15 times the volume of your tank per hour. So a 10 gallon would need, 100-150 gph flow. You will for sure need those. As for the test kits, do you mean API? That is just a manufacturer name. They are fairly decent. Are you going to be running a sump/refugium?

haha wow im not doing this right yet.. i guess i will go out and buy a power head tomorrow. and i was curious on which is better a sump or a refugium?

I like a refugium because they seem more natural I guess. Mine had 2" of mud, 2" of sand, mangoves pods, live rock, crabs, snails, chaeto algae. I also used this area to grow coral frags.

okay i think i have decided on the refugium cause it seems way nicer if you ask me.. how big of one would you suggest and for my 30g tank what size powerhead would you suggest?

A 10 gallon would be more than enough for a 30gallon main tank. When I first started my old 55 I used a 10 gallon, it fit all of my gear with out any problem. it wa a bit cramped, but you don't need to look at it very often. BUT, if you have room for a 20gallon, I would go with that. Much better.

i think im gonna skip on the overflow system for now but after saving up my for a while and getting past the next round of bills i will definetly work on it.. sounds like it would be way better deal for my tank

For sure you can do it later. What you can do is just buy what you need piece by piece, and set it up when you are ready. Instead of trying to get it all at one time. Then you can sell off what you don't need anymore, or save it for another tank haha.

hi there, i used marine cycle added to the tank but have not put any life in the tank as i thought that the live rock having life in it may give off some amonia to cycle with, do you think maybe i should put a srimp or somthing in there to produce a little more amonia, it may die tho right

i went to the LFS today and found out that the tap water here is full of ammonia.. lol that i dont have to add a shrimp or anything which is pretty nice. i checked the levels today and the ammonia is pretty high which is a good sign.. so hopefully just some waiting will finish the cycle.. thanks guys :D

Hi Guys,
I am Very new at all this and i love it!!
I am Cycling my Tank but i dont see a ammonia Spike yet??
I got a new Solana 34g, 150 watt HQI and i am curing my Live rock 30 pounds Vanuatu.
I set up my Tank 4 weeks ago and nothing yet?
I have Put 2 Shrimp in already.
2 Weeks ago i put in 4 Snails and 12 Hermit Crab.
1 Week ago i put in 2 Blue Green Chromis
salinity:1.026
Temp : 75-80C
PH: 8.4
Nitrates : >10 ( almost none)
Amonia : >0.02
Water: from a 5 stage RO/DI

Skimmer is working
Day and night lights are working to 10h day 14 night

Should i just wait? or do something about it..?

BTW all Live stock looks like its doing well.

Thank you for any help possible

hi there, i used marine cycle added to the tank but have not put any life in the tank as i thought that the live rock having life in it may give off some amonia to cycle with, do you think maybe i should put a srimp or somthing in there to produce a little more amonia, it may die tho right

The shrimp that you use to start the cycle is not supposed to be a shrimp that you would keep in your tank. It is just a regular shirmp that you would eat that you buy from the grocery store. Just tie it to a string, and leave it in for a few days. Just keep an eye on the level of ammonia. when it starts to go up, take it out.

Back
Top Bottom