Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Should Protine Skimmer Run while Cycling

Hi there i have been cycling for about 2 or 3 weeks now and have had protine skimmer running. ammonia is showing 0.6 and the PH is about 8.3 nitrite is 0.3 and nitrate is less then 5 on the tests. i have given the tank a small dose of extra bacteria today to help it along and the question is still in the back on my mind, should it be running or is it going to prolong the cycle. oh just in addition i have had a redish type alge about a week ago and this week now a brown datome i think not sure. any answers would be helpful, am i doing ok.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I normally leave skimmers off during the cycling period so it isn't prolonged. You could try a 25% water change (gravel vacuum the top substrate layer) and see if your NH3 goes down.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Sliced Bread

I ran my skimmer during my cycle. I cured my rock for several weeks in my garage, wherein I ran my skimmer during that period as well. Does it prolong the cycle? perhaps, I can't speak for sure.

When you say you added an extra dose of bacteria, what exactly did you add? You need to provide an ammonia source to feed the cycle.

Diatoms are normal for a new tank as they eat at the excess silicates that are in brand new tanks. The reddish stuff I assume to be cyano, which is another common phase in breaking in a new aquarium.

While you're cycling, don't run the lights. The bacteria don't need it, and the high/excess nutrients plus lots of lights can lead to crazy algae issues.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i am in my cycling period as well.. so what is being said is that you should not turn on the lights or the skimmer in this period?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Roberz00 Send a message via Yahoo to Roberz00
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb_orange View Post
i am in my cycling period as well.. so what is being said is that you should not turn on the lights or the skimmer in this period?

lights-no skimmer-optional

I ran my skimmer during cycling also and went full readiness at 1 month. Running the skimmer is almost a personal choice type thing. I did it to "season" it to the water and "flush" it out. like i said.. that was my choice and the path i took. no fish or inverts were harmed in the add on period. (adding them to the tank)
Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #6

okay.. so far i have 30lbs of LR an airstone and a skimmer running. should i add anything to the tank for the cycling period... and so everyone knows im no where close i just set up the tank 3 days ago but im just trying to figure out if i am making everything run correctly.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some people put a shrimp in the tank to get some bacteria brewing, and to help the cycle start faster. The airstone isn't needed, unless you like the look of it. Your skimmer should make enough bubbles to oxygenate the water. Do you have test kits yet?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 AM   #8

i do have test kits.. but after looking at a bunch of articles on here i think im going to go to the LFS tomorrow and buy a new test kit i think you call it a AP kit. sounds like that will be the best for this whole situation. and do you think the airstone might help circulate the water any better cause i dont really like the look of it right now. maybe when i get some fish in a month or so. and i am also going to get a raw shrimp tomorrow cause it sounds like one of the easiest ways to go on with this.

and thank you for the help and future advise i will receive from anyone
Old 03-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The air stone won't do much for circulation. If you don't have powerheads, that should be on the top of the list of things to get. Calculate 10-15 times the volume of your tank per hour. So a 10 gallon would need, 100-150 gph flow. You will for sure need those. As for the test kits, do you mean API? That is just a manufacturer name. They are fairly decent. Are you going to be running a sump/refugium?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:47 AM   #10

haha wow im not doing this right yet.. i guess i will go out and buy a power head tomorrow. and i was curious on which is better a sump or a refugium?

Tags
am i doing it right, cycling, should skimmer be running, skimmer, what are they.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com