Should the top of tank be totally covered?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should the top of tank be totally covered or should some it be left open?

Thanks Again for all the help.

IMO, some should be open for good gas exchange. Depending on what type of tank your running, I might even suggest a totally open topped tank ;)

I run open top tanks for gas exchange benifits. If your going to have something in the tank that is known to be an excape artist then using some egg crate would allow you to cover tha tank yet leave it open.

Also you need to think if you will have jumping fish like firefish, had one it jumped and died :cry:

What about dust and airborne particles getting into the water?

Dust really isn't too much of a problem, and if you've got alot of aerosol use in the house, it is almost as likely to get in the tank anyway.

Are yellow watchman gobies likely to jump out of tanks....I read somewhere they are big on escaping...any truth to that? what are other species that like to play houdini?

From personal experience, I can tell you that the jawfish will bail out of a tank that you think is adequately covered. Any of the eels are escape artists also...if they can get their head started through a hole, the rest of them will soon follow.

I have not had any issues with my yellow watchman gobie jumping, I've had him a couple months now. I've only seen one time when he was spooked that he darted up, usually if one of the other fish is a little beligerant, he darts down and into his hole ;)

Back
Top Bottom