Shrimp cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnnyd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I used the shrimp cycle method in my tank. I just want to know when is the best time to take them out. They are really starting to smell. The wife is about to throw me and the tank out the window. Just kidding that would never happen. Any comments will help.

After your ammonia spikes and you start seeing nitrItes, you can remove them.

I agree that if its`s pretty rough then take them out now. Check first to see what your ammonia is at.

I also just put some LR in the tank and swap out the bioballs in the filter for LR. I'm goin to test in an hour. Yesterday it was only 1.0 ppm. That is the ammonia.

It needs to be more than that IMO. The added LR will help the cycle along also.

I'd say once it's above 2.0ppm, yank it. But be careful... that shrimp may look solid, but it's anything but! (One of those Glad Stickup or air freshener thingies is invaluable while cycling! Saved me from living on the sidewalk!)

Remove, next time add just a pich of pellet food and the same is accomplished without the smell! Yuck!

To help cycle a tank faster, some people will add 1 or 2 raw cocktail shrimp to the tank. I did the same to cycle mine and let me tell you that you definitely do not want to touch those shrimp with anything but plastic gloves. The smell is absolutely horrific.

Back
Top Bottom