Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

shrimp question

can i add the coctail shrimp to the tank before i get the live rock? i'm gonna order the live rock today so it should be here by tomorrow. my tank has just the saltwater and a two inch sand bed. (not live sand) tia

Old 12-27-2004, 05:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
eh, probibly not a great idea.

I added mine the day I added my LR. your LR will start a cycle and it would be good to have the shrimp start the cycle at the same time.

in the long run, it probibly doesn't make much of a difference. How big is your tank? if its fairly small, just add a part of the shrimp. in mine, I used only about a third of the shrimp.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

its just a 10 gallon nano tank. thanks for the advice on only adding a part of it! i wondered about that!
Old 12-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ps is the shrimp decayin in a 10 gallons of water gonna smell? cause its in my bedroom. and i just want to know what to expect
Old 12-27-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

not really, your LR will smell much worse. THAT will be the bad stuff.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 12-27-2004, 06:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm good to know. i probably would have freaked out and thought something was wrong when i opened the box to an unpleseant odor. will it always stink? or just before it goes into the tank?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

as the LR cycles, some of it will die off. that decaying stuff will cause the stink. I didn't get an odor from mine. ( I ordered from Liverocks.com) and there was very little die-0ff, but others are not so lucky.

-Matt

Old 12-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahhh gotcha. i just ordered mine from liverocks.com too i can't wait to get it and see what comes on it! it should be here tomorrow!

Tags
rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com