Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

shrooms and polyps

i have a bunch of shrooms and polyps on their way and will be here in the morning. my question is how to i fasten them to the live rock. what is the best thing to use?

Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would not try and glue them down if I were you..I take mine and sit them on rubble or a LR in a low flow area and in a day or two they will attach themselves to the rock..

Old 04-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

There are several ways. You can take some light fish line and tie down. You can get some like bridal lace and hold it down with that. I`ve even had luck with just laying on the rock in a low flow area and it would attach by itself. I`m sure there are other ways.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Usually they are attached to a small rock or plug already. Did it say unmounted? Your getting them from liveaquaria.com right?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

yea i am getting them from there. i have had such great luck with them. i will try pointing my PH in a different direction for a few days and see if i can get them to attach to a rock. like u guys said. i cant wait this is realy going to add a splash of color to my tank.
do i need to QT these corals for a few weeks befor adding them to my tank?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, not QT'ing always presents some risk. Recently I've read so many horror stories, and evidence that certain "bugs", etc. seem to be on the rise, that I would look into dipping any new additions, since I don't have room or equipment for QT'ing coral. I know Salifert makes a product that people use to dip new additions in. It's sometimes combined w/ one or two other things. I've read about this primarily being done w/ stoney coral, but I assume the method for soft coral is the same. Something you can look into if you feel the need.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

ehst kind of dips should i look for? i will go out and get it befor they get here and set it up so its ready. i want to take every percaution i can. i have a healthy tank going and i dont want to hinder it in any way shape or form.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some people dip new corals in a combo of iodine, Salifert flat worm exit, and RO/DI water to drive off any parasites/pest. How much of each, the exact risk and procedure I'm not very familiar with(try a google search). As I said, it's not something I've done in the past. You'll probably be fine just adding the coral, but I just want to express there is always a increased risk of introducing a pest that way.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There is that risk when adding things to the tank...though I would be very cautious of doing a dip on a coral that has been in a bag being shipped for 24+ hours...they are already stressed enough and adding to that a dip may cause more problems then it prevents...I've never QTed a coral and as far as I can tell have not had any problems from not doing so...I would be inclined to acclimate or follow what directions the Drs gave you and get the shrooms into the tank as quickly as possible....just my $.02
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

well i did not get a chance to get out today and i recived my shrooms and polyps about 3 hrs ago. i placed the 2 bags in my tank to get them to the tank temp. and then i driped acclamated them for 2hrs. i just got done placing them in my tank and i am having some trouble. some came on rocks and some didnt. i placed them on the rocks and some are so small that they fall off. theres no way i could use a rubberband/fishing string and hold them there, they would be destroyed with out a doubt. now i placed them in few random spots i liked and i hope they will attach soon. i have the PH's off for the time being and i would think them being off for a long period of time would be not be good?
the polyps and shrooms are slowy opening and i see some that are just stubbern. will they all open up or is it normal for some to die?
also i wanted to ask. i placed some of the shrooms around the base of my LR and wanted to know if they spread up and not just down.
thanks for your time

Tags
polyp, polyps, shrooms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com