shrooms and polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a bunch of shrooms and polyps on their way and will be here in the morning. my question is how to i fasten them to the live rock. what is the best thing to use?

I would not try and glue them down if I were you..I take mine and sit them on rubble or a LR in a low flow area and in a day or two they will attach themselves to the rock..

There are several ways. You can take some light fish line and tie down. You can get some like bridal lace and hold it down with that. I`ve even had luck with just laying on the rock in a low flow area and it would attach by itself. I`m sure there are other ways.

Usually they are attached to a small rock or plug already. Did it say unmounted? Your getting them from liveaquaria.com right?

yea i am getting them from there. i have had such great luck with them. i will try pointing my PH in a different direction for a few days and see if i can get them to attach to a rock. like u guys said. i cant wait this is realy going to add a splash of color to my tank.
do i need to QT these corals for a few weeks befor adding them to my tank?

Well, not QT'ing always presents some risk. Recently I've read so many horror stories, and evidence that certain "bugs", etc. seem to be on the rise, that I would look into dipping any new additions, since I don't have room or equipment for QT'ing coral. I know Salifert makes a product that people use to dip new additions in. It's sometimes combined w/ one or two other things. I've read about this primarily being done w/ stoney coral, but I assume the method for soft coral is the same. Something you can look into if you feel the need.

ehst kind of dips should i look for? i will go out and get it befor they get here and set it up so its ready. i want to take every percaution i can. i have a healthy tank going and i dont want to hinder it in any way shape or form.

Some people dip new corals in a combo of iodine, Salifert flat worm exit, and RO/DI water to drive off any parasites/pest. How much of each, the exact risk and procedure I'm not very familiar with(try a google search). As I said, it's not something I've done in the past. You'll probably be fine just adding the coral, but I just want to express there is always a increased risk of introducing a pest that way.

There is that risk when adding things to the tank...though I would be very cautious of doing a dip on a coral that has been in a bag being shipped for 24+ hours...they are already stressed enough and adding to that a dip may cause more problems then it prevents...I've never QTed a coral and as far as I can tell have not had any problems from not doing so...I would be inclined to acclimate or follow what directions the Drs gave you and get the shrooms into the tank as quickly as possible....just my $.02

well i did not get a chance to get out today and i recived my shrooms and polyps about 3 hrs ago. i placed the 2 bags in my tank to get them to the tank temp. and then i driped acclamated them for 2hrs. i just got done placing them in my tank and i am having some trouble. some came on rocks and some didnt. i placed them on the rocks and some are so small that they fall off. theres no way i could use a rubberband/fishing string and hold them there, they would be destroyed with out a doubt. now i placed them in few random spots i liked and i hope they will attach soon. i have the PH's off for the time being and i would think them being off for a long period of time would be not be good?
the polyps and shrooms are slowy opening and i see some that are just stubbern. will they all open up or is it normal for some to die?
also i wanted to ask. i placed some of the shrooms around the base of my LR and wanted to know if they spread up and not just down.
thanks for your time

Some of my zoos took a couple of days to fully open, and I got some green star polyps that took a full week! Mushrooms can be very variable in their size day to day, just give them time to get settled, they will be happier if you don't keep messing with them. My shrooms all attached within 2 or 3 days, sometimes faster.

thats cool that they attach quick. i got some on rocks also that i hope grows over the rock and holds the rock in place. is that possible? and i think the packs that live aquaira sell arnt for 30g tanks lol . i got so many shrooms and polyps its not funny i guess thats a good thing mabey.. i guess i will see.
this is what i got lol
7 types of mushrooms
and 5 types of polyps
and i think some broke apart in the bag and i have twice as many polyps.lol

Hey could you take some pics of the shrooms and polyps. I get the drsfostersmith catalog every month and I've been looking at the 7 mushroom pack and the 5 polyp pack.

For the mushrooms, what I do is put some rubble in a plastic container (like one of those small ones you get at a deli when you want a small portion of mac and cheese or coleslwa or something like that) and then i cover the container with this red plastic mesh stuff (i don't know what it's called but it was covering the top of a box of clementines so they didn't fall out). That works for me since I cut my mushrooms every now and then.

I have some button polyps and what I did was get a dry piece of lace rock, make sure it was clean, take the polyps and dry them off then super glue them to the rock. It worked very well.

ok i will take some pics when they all open up.
and do u think they will over grow the rocks their on and over flow to the LR i have in my tank there for holding the rock they came on to my Live rock. i dont want to put any super glue in my tank. not saying its not a good idea. i would be way to scared of messing up and killing all my coral.

The ones that came on rocks would be fine if you just leave them on the lr and eventually they will grow on to the lr.

I agree with lance...if you have a couple of clear plastic containers you could put some rubble in them and put the shrooms on the rubble in the containers and set them on the sand bottom until they attach to the rock...I see one of my LFS doing this a lot with their new shrooms....that way they wont float away so easily...

so i put the plastic container inside the tank with the mushrooms and they will grow on the LR that i put in there?

Yes get a small plastic container (like around 4 inches high) fill the bottom with some lr rubble, then place the mushrooms on top of the rubble and put the container in the bottom of the tank. The height of the wall of the container will reduce the water flow inside the container so the shrooms wont float away into the back of the tank and you never see them again and they will safely attach to the rock.

ok i am going throuh my shrooms and polyps now leaving the ones i want in the tank and the others in a plastic bowl at the bottom. i will post pic very soon. let te dust set and i will take some

Wow thanks for the pics, looks good. How many of the mushrooms you got were ricordea? The one in the close up of the left side is but I cant tell from the other ones, they look like it though.

Back
Top Bottom