Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Shut off valves for RO DI unit? Before or after?

I ordered my RO DI unit.
I also bought a float valve for auto top offs...

I plan on putting in some inline valves on the water line, as I don't trust the float valve.

Should I position the vavle to cut the pressure before the RO DI unit?
Or should I have the valve after the unit, to keep the unit under pressure.

Figure someone here might have looked this one up

theedudenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would have it before. This way your unit is not under constant pressure. This is how mine is set up.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
I have looked into this myself. Right now, I use a Kent float valve on a trash can to fill up for water changes. That valve requires you to drill a hole to slide through. That doesn't work so well when your sump is 30 gallon aquarium.

So what I think I have come up with is the unit from autotopoff.com. It uses a slide float valve that hangs on the side of the sump. You then hook a solenoid to that to shut the water off before the RO/DI.

Is that what you use Lando? Because my 150 gal. evaporation is crazy. I would like a no-hassle setup.
150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

unit, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com