Signs of overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I know that you guys would say I am over stocked with two clowns and firefish in a 12 gallon fluval edge.

That being said, what are the signs of over stocked?

Reason I ask is that my nitrates are high ~40-60 ppm. All other params are 0, PH 8.2 and SG 1.024. Fish are VERY healthy and eating like horses

Could too many fish cause the high nitrates? Did a PWC and it helped a lot.

Of note, I am not using chemi-pure elite and fully seeded biomax in my filter. I am upgrading to at least a 29 gallon soon, but wanted to keep this tank for my son's room.

Thoughts? And please, be easy on me. I am aware that I am probably over stocked. Just trying to fix it.

Too much food, too much waste, etc are all contributing reasons for high trates.

Imo I think a tank is overstocked (bioload wise only not fish requirements) when you you can't keep nitrates below 10-20 ppm with weekly 20% water changes.

I always do only 10% water changes. Should I try 20%?

It will be around the end of the month when I get my new tank, then I got cycling, etc so figure december change out at the earliest.

Think it will be ok until then?

Packohotdogs said:
I always do only 10% water changes. Should I try 20%?

It will be around the end of the month when I get my new tank, then I got cycling, etc so figure december change out at the earliest.

Think it will be ok until then?

If your trates are high then yes bump it up to 20-30% and they will be fine for now but you could speed up the cycle by seeding some base rock or something for the new tank in your current one

Tank's 3 months old and was fully cycled. I have had minor diatoms for a couple weeks now, but the hermits are helping with that.

I am going to add some cured live rock over the next couple weeks, and will try a larger water change tonight.

thank you so much for the help.

Packohotdogs said:
Tank's 3 months old and was fully cycled. I have had minor diatoms for a couple weeks now, but the hermits are helping with that.

I am going to add some cured live rock over the next couple weeks, and will try a larger water change tonight.

thank you so much for the help.

I meant the cycle on your new tank.. you could add a HOB filter to your fully cycled tank to collect some beneficial bacteria so when you start your new tank you could move your HOB over and save yourself a week or two on your cycle maybe more

Signs of overstocking...if those clowns become a mating pair (laying eggs) they will kill any other fish you have in a 29g cube, definitely in a 12g. I have issues in the 194g with Bonnie and Clyde taking on the tangs, that's pretty bold! But seriously, when I sold my 72g, I put the clowns and 3 fish in the 29 cube as a holding tank, they decided then they were going to start breeding and in one night they killed the other 3, beating them to death and tearing their fins all up. So even if you get your nitrates lowered, you can have other problems :( Mated clowns are mean!

Hope that helps. Also for fish only your nitrates are not horrible, but less is better so you don't have algae blooms.

Back
Top Bottom