Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Silly question - but just clarifying

I am going to be setting up what I thought was just a FOWLR, but I also plan on having a few inverts. I am assuming that even with the inverts, the tank is still considered a FOWLR and not a reef, because I am not interested in corals.

I started up my water today for a 10 gallon (yipee!) after several weeks of reading and research trips to LFS. From here I have a several month plan to get comfortable with SW water changes and water management (I have done FW for a few years already), get live rock, get one green emerald crab, one black ocellaris clown, one pom pom crab, one porcelain crab, and lastly a cleaner shrimp. My LFS is telling me I could get many more inverts, or more than one of the ones I have chosen, but I am not interested in loading the tank with inverts. I want just a few that I think are cool to go with my one fish that I have wanted to have for quite a while now. I plan on doing very good tank maintenance (10% a week) so don't think I need an aggressive clean up crew. If this all goes well I may upgrade to a larger tank next year. Or, since I am a newbie to salt water I could spend the next year making newbie mistakes and learning how to do things better before I get brave and go bigger.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

So the question is...? More inverts?

Inverts are slot more fun than you may think especially in a small system where you can see them more often.

My 10g is a reef but I have:
Skunk cleaner
2 scarlet hermits
Peppermint shrimp
Cerith snail

With room for more.

Caleb

Old 07-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am liking the invert idea, surprisingly. Once I realized I didn't have to get hermits and snails that I am not excited about, I started looking for the stuff I think is really cool and can't wait to get them.

But do inverts make the tank a reef? I don't think so because I won't have any of the other reefy stuff, but after reading some more I am not so sure. More than a FOWLR but less than a reef. What am I?
Old 07-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodrough View Post
I am liking the invert idea, surprisingly. Once I realized I didn't have to get hermits and snails that I am not excited about, I started looking for the stuff I think is really cool and can't wait to get them.

But do inverts make the tank a reef? I don't think so because I won't have any of the other reefy stuff, but after reading some more I am not so sure. More than a FOWLR but less than a reef. What am I?

I would still call it a FOWLR. No corals= not a reef.

Caleb

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com