Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-22-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
simple saltwater setup?

Visiting a local tropical fish store after doing some research, and asking questions i was told of a simple setup. He told me that all i really needed was good LS, LR, good lighting, and a surface skimmer. Honestly i was a little in disbelief but was shown his tanks that were instore, and he didn't have much equipment attached. He was showing me his (i'm guessing) 100 gal tank with 4-5 large pieces of LR, a powerhead with a propeller, a surface skimmer, and a small filter HOB style(excluding fish sand ect.). More equipment may have been being used but i didn't see it, or was in too much of a hurry to notice, but i'm speaking of what he TOLD me. In short if a small saltwater tank 20gal was planned on being used for a reef tank with minimal equip would i be able to keep a good ecosystem?

fuse_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Smaller tanks require more time but less money. Theres no simple setup but there is a basic setup. With no fish and a few coral minimul amount of flow would work for awile but feeding fish help feed coral and CUC and pods.Low flow means a collection of unwanted nutreints and with fish no skimmer could mean higher ammonia levels. Its about a balance. Get a startup book and ask more questions for best chance.

lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Welcome to AA!

Yes, you can set up a successful system with the proper amount of LR, LS, a HOB filter, a skimmer and good lighting. Just keep in mind that with a smaller system, you have less room for error and bad things can happen fast.
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

It can be that simple, but first read the articles here and ask lots of questions. Resear4ch up front saves $$$$$s.

Read the New Tank Setup and How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish threads too.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com