Sitting sideways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
WHen I woke up this morning I went to check on my new fish in a tank and one of my clowns was swimming sideways on the top of the water so I thought he was on the verge of going belly up now he seems to be doing fine the lights where off and the room my tank is is only has moon light is this something I should be worried about check water as we speak

It's good that you're checking your water. That's always a great place to start to rule out any problems.

When we got our first pair of O. Clownfish one of the clowns were lying sideways on the bottom in one corner, and then swim off a little erratically only to come back to lie sideways in the same location. My experience with freshwater fish told me this was bad and that it would be dead by morning....that was almost a year ago now, the clowns are doing great. Clownfish really are clowns!

Elmo1287 said:
Should I just leave my light on all night?

It is not recommended by many people to leave your light on all night. As this is a time for a sleep cycle to take place for many fish and for nocturnal fish to feed. It is also a major feeding period for many corals and/or a resting period for other corals. I would turn your moon lights on to continue the natural day/night cycle for fish, coral, etc.
Hope you figure it out. Good Luck!

I'm not sure I have a moon light should I move a low beam lamp in their

Elmo1287 said:
I'm not sure I have a moon light should I move a low beam lamp in their

It should be a low, and i mean low beam lamp that is very actinic blue. Anything other than the actinic blue can change the color of coral and will change how your fish view things. This could result in the blindness of your fish and or fighting. If you do not have moon lights it is just best to have no light at all to prevent future problems from occurring.

Aski247 said:
I would never put a lack light near my tank, besides the fact they burn so hot, I want no part of that heat mixed with moisture that could potentially cause it to pop.

Agreed. The only reason I said it would be ok if it is blue is if you would put it high above your tank just for a night or two, which would be enough time for you to get aquarium moon lights.

Aski247 said:
I would never put a lack light near my tank, besides the fact they burn so hot, I want no part of that heat mixed with moisture that could potentially cause it to pop.

Agreed. The only reason I said it would be OK if it is blue is if you would put it high above your tank just for a night or two, which would be enough time for you to get aquarium moon lights.

Elmo1287 said:
So I should prob just by a regular moonlight for it tomorrow

Yes, that would be the best thing. Sorry for the double post. My fault. Does anyone know how to delete it?

I just didn't know what caused my clown to be sideways on the top of my tank when I woke up this morning just swimming sideways cause I didn't have any light at night in their at all

Elmo1287 said:
I just didn't know what caused my clown to be sideways on the top of my tank when I woke up this morning just swimming sideways cause I didn't have any light at night in their at all

Some clowns either sit on the bottom in the corner or sit sideways at the top. Most likely he will snap out of it but it is just one of those things of it lives if it lives or dies if it dies. Although I doubt it will die, but there is a problem if it is not eating.
Hope it lives!

Back
Top Bottom