Situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djones169

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have 1 small live rock, or so I am told. I have some pieces of base rock and dead coral. Will the 1 live rock seed and bring back the dead rocks? And how long? Do I need any special lighting for this?
img_1342834_0_65fcad27a31acb21c617a8c059d6f9ac.jpg

I put 40lbs if live sand onto a bed of crushed coral. The live sand is the bagged kind that says "instant cycling just add fish" is that right? Having just reset the tank it has high ammonia right now. Alot less than yesterday but still measurable amounts. Just did a50% water change and added a small amount of ammo lock. How long before I can move forward?

Thanks,
Dave

Live rock can seed dead rock, but it does take time. You will need a lot more rock either way though. You should have 1-2 pounds per gallon of rock total, and the live rock should be at least 20% of that, and should be bery high quality live rock.

As fishguy said it will do over time. Just need to be patient and you`ll be OK.

Although youdont need 20%live rock anything you put in a tank becomes "live" because of the bacterias living on/in it. These bacterii are what keeps the nitrogen cycle working. Having more lr to start will most likely give you a shorter cycle.

Back
Top Bottom