Six foot Marine build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stingrays4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi following on from my other thread,about this possibly happening well now its almost certainly gonna happen!
Now the tank is 72 x 18 x 24
Lighting is two T8 tubes Looking to upgrade this in the future.
Gem juwel internal filter 1,500 litre pump {Not sure on this one yet?}
Or Fluval 406? 1,450 litres per hour.
Circulation pumps x 2 Koralia evolution 5,200? Or would three smaller ones be a better choice?
Salt - same make as me local shop uses - Kent marine?
Protein skimmer - Aqua one pro skim G224 {for aquariums up to a 1,000 litres,Flow - 1,850 per hour}Or equivalent.
Total turn over = 13,750 litres per hour
Living rock - 40 kilos?
Coral sand or live sand?
Refractometer
Marine test kit.
R/O water?
Anything I missed? Or what would you add/subtract?
Now do I get all the hardware then start setting up or set up as I get the hardware?
I am looking to have small fish and shrimps and hardy corals,and obviously a clean up crew.
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.:thanks:

Sounds good to me except are you planning on a sump as you would definitely benefit on a tank that size

Oh and with the sand live will cycle it quicker but they're both fine the only thing about coral substrate is it can try Derris and cause high nitrates be fine with normal sand maybe seed it with one bag of live sand

You won't be able to keep any corals with those lights.
Hi yes looking to upgrade,but may install upgraded lights rather than use what I already have,as I only have T8 tubes and they are only 42 inch so are rather short for a six foot tank:blink: Any suggestions? My local shop is suggesting LEDs but they are rather expensive :eek: I am looking at dare I say hardy corals and I am not looking to really heavily stock the tank so corals that like allot of room will be OK. Also any suggestions on this and also any usefull links to threads on here would be great(y)

Oh and with the sand live will cycle it quicker but they're both fine the only thing about coral substrate is it can try Derris and cause high nitrates be fine with normal sand maybe seed it with one bag of live sand
Hi i have put in 26 kilo of coral sand and this seemed a little deep to me {giving a depth of about 1.5 inches all over} I also intend to add live sand as I believe like you said it will speed up the cycle.:)

Well I'm getting ready to convert from hailides to LEDs. I'd suggest that. The maxspec razors are pretty nice and aren't extremely expensive.

LEDs are the way to go and your pocketbook will thank you in the long run when you look at your monthly electric bill compared to running MH and T5s. Some folks have to run chillers with their MH depending on where they live. I've even seen some folks that live in the desert areas run chillers with their T5 setups. That will really put a dent in your pocket.

Hi thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far(y) I am a little tempted to set up a smaller system and get the hang of it so to speak before jumping in with the big tank? But would I be 'wasting' money and time?

The bigger the tank the easier it is to deal with issue...most recommend a 55 to start. But given the start up cost, maybe looking at something smaller would be ok if your not sure...

Hi that was what I was thinking. Think I just got to be patient and take it one step at a time:)
Think my plan could be -
No 1 - part fill the tank with R/O water.
No 2 - get the protein skimmer and heaters in place.
No 3 - Order the living rock.
No 4 - get the external filter working.
No 5 - fit the lighting.
No 6 - install the lighting.
No 7 - hopefully living rock would have arrived?
No 8 - cycle the tank and be very patient :)
Meanwhile keep researching corals and fish I may whish to keep:D How does that sound?:)
Forgot to say I would still be setting up the big tank.

Last edited:
Are you going to run a sump?

The plan sounds good. Patience is key.

What are you going to do for power heads?

What do you mean by external filter?

If you already have Sand in then put a bowl on the sand and pour the water Into the bowl and let it overflow to fill the tank. This will reduce the cloudy ness from the sand.

Another note, depending on if your lights are in a canopy you may want to wait to set up the lights until you have your rock on...makes it much easier without a light in the way.

Hi that was what I was thinking. Think I just got to be patient and take it one step at a time:)
Think my plan could be -
No 1 - part fill the tank with R/O water.
No 2 - get the protein skimmer and heaters in place.
No 3 - Order the living rock.
No 4 - get the external filter working.
No 5 - fit the lighting.
No 6 - install the lighting.
No 7 - hopefully living rock would have arrived?
No 8 - cycle the tank and be very patient :)
Meanwhile keep researching corals and fish I may whish to keep:D How does that sound?:)
Forgot to say I would still be setting up the big tank.

Sounds like a decent plan, but personally, I would get the cycle going before worrying about the lighting cuz you won't need the light for the cycle anyways and the cycle can take a month or more. But that's just me and its entirely up to you. :) good luck with the tank!! :)

Hi by external filter - I have a eheim pro 3 that I can use,and me local shop said about using it as a mechanical and chemical filter?
Mechanical - sponges and possibly filter wool?
Chemical - phosphate absorbing media?
As for the powerheads I have two old powerheads which are pretty powerfull {would have to check the actual litre per hour though?}Or what would you recommend?
Thanks for the tip on the lights(y)

Typically external filters like that aren't use as they can cause high nitrates...but using as a chemical filter isn't too bad..or use live rock rubble in there as well.

Depending on if the power heads are good enough you can use them

Back
Top Bottom