Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-04-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Size of a new Reef

Hello everyone,

I currently have a nano reef (10 gal) running in my bedroom and I absolutely LOVE it. It has been running a few months now and I am reading and doing as much research as I can. Fellow enthusiasts seem to be the best source of information.

I am considering the possibility of setting up a larger system in my living room , but space is a problem and I live in a second floor apt. Many people so far have suggested that I stick with a rectangular low tank. I was told this was the "best" for a reef tank. I am however very attracted to the hexagon shape since it will fit nicely in a corner (like i said space is a problem). If I only want to keep a few ( 2 clowns , yellow tang, and maybe something else small) and soft corals, can I get away with a 50 gal hex setup?

Thanks

Brian

Old 08-04-2003, 02:03 PM   #2
steve-s

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com

Hex tanks are not the greatest idea for marine aquaria. Being taller rather than longer, they do not offer enough water surface area for proper gas exchange and often lead to poor O2 levels and faultering ph. Many marine fish also prefer horizontal rather than vertical movement.

The advice you were given about the rectangle tank is better for a few reasons. A longer tank will provide for much better surface gas exchange, allow for less restrictions in fish types, be easier to accomidate equipment and will also spread out the weight of the tank. A hex tank being tall, will focus the weight in one area. The longer tank will spread that weight better along the joyces and hopefully prevent flooring issues.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think the tank might be too small for the yellow tang, i read in here somewhere that they need a tank at least 48 inches long because they are very strong swimmers. Im not sure how it would do in a hex setup, someone pls correct me if im wrong!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:53 PM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by two11devan
I think the tank might be too small for the yellow tang, i read in here somewhere that they need a tank at least 48 inches long because they are very strong swimmers. Im not sure how it would do in a hex setup, someone pls correct me if im wrong!
You are not wrong. Provided the tank is a minimum of 48" long, tangs can be kept but I would usually recommend at least a 75 gal tank to allow for other fish stocks as well. If just interested in the tang and the 2 clownes as suggested above, the a 48" tank would suffice.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com