size of my new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VT8230

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright I have been reading up and searching up and down for some advise on how to get started in this crazy hobby. I have never owned a fish tank. I have now read two books talking about what is needed and how to take it slow. As Christmas is right around the corner I am in desperate need of finding a good tank. That is all I want for the moment. I do not need a stand, as I will build one to suite. I know the risk involved and have already decided that this is a good way to save money. The question is what size tank should I get. I want nothing smaller than 50 gallons. Also, I plan on enlarging my tank overtime to something around 150 or 200 gallons. Would a 50 gallon be big enough for a sump when I purchase a bigger tank. Another point would be that I would like to keep FOWLR for the moment and move in corals after years and years of experience. Would a 50 gallon be the right size for that. A couple more questions to add to the list. What are good dimensions for a tank and any good ideas on products or on-line stores that have good tanks for a good price? Thanks for the help now and in the future and I start to get this hobby started.

Chad
ATL

Ok Chad We look forward to working with you. We have several articles that you can read in our article section. I think a 55 gallon tank is a good size to start with.

I would look at a 50G tank, the demensions are a little better. I have a 55G and the LR takes up a lot of space. There was a post about that a few weeks ago. I think that would make a decent sized tank for a sump, in the future. I haven't been able to find decent shipping prices on tanks. I think the best bet is to find a LFS and special order from them. With the cost of shipping, you probably will pay close to the same price as your LFS. I bought my 55 and stand at an auction, for $65. I used auctionzip.com to find auctions. Af for dry goods and equipment, I like drsfosterandsmith.com (I bought my sand and lighting from them), they don't charge based on weight. If you are looking to save some money, go with base rock and seed it with a little LR.
You live in Atl, have you been to the aquarium? I think it is the biggest one in the US.

Actually, here is a post, seems reasonable price, I am not familliar with that poster:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=90390
They are freshies, and I am a saltie, so I don't know that specific person.
I know it is a 55g, and I recommended a 50G, but it seems like a nice deal.
You could also post in your regional forum to see if any folks are selling stuff or thier experiences with LFS in your area.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
A 50gal is a very good size to start with. The bigger the tank, the better. Keep in mind, space constraints and budget will play a role. Starting a tank, even a moderately sized one, will be more expensive then you think. The "add-ons" are endless and everyone seems to nickle and dime you for this and that. There are some items I consider a "must" and others that are not really needed at start up (but thats another thread :wink: ). Check out our articles section for tons of info on getting started. Most importantly, keep stopping by here for answers to your questions. I would start by getting a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Contentious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a solid info source, but please ignore the section on cycling with live fish. there are more up-to-date methods now. Good luck!

Ok, 50 gallon it is. No I have not been to the aquarium. I really need to go just lazy :( Ok time for the fun questions. I am going to use LR and LS. I am going to use a hob filter and a hob protein skimmer but don't know on the bio filtration. I have heard that as long as I have the LR and LS and the correct amount than bio filtration should be covered. This just sounds to easy and even easier to mess up. Any other filtration I should be using?

I would shoot for 1.5-2Lbs of LR per gallon for the best natural biofiltration. Some folks like skimmers, I am planning on one for my 125G, but do not have one on my 55G. If you want to save some money, go with a mixture of base rock and some LR.

Back
Top Bottom