Size sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Right now would just be fish. Maybe in a year or two i would like to do coral but not sure if it will actually happen

So I’m hoping to fill the tank with water this weekend. My question is how do o know how much the drainage flow and return pump power will i have to run? Is it a play around with until you get a consistent water level in the sump?

As long as the GPH are similar, with the return pump being higher, you can use the gate valve to cut down the flow coming out of the return until they match.
If the overflow out performs the pump, water will enter the sump until water doesn't reach the baffles.
If the pump out performs the overflow, water will be emptied from the return section until water no longer reaches the intake on the pump.

I would use a 30 long before a 29..You need footprint for sumps not depth...
What pump are you going to use ?
A ball valve is a good idea to be used but hopefully won't be needed .
I use the Jeboa DC pumps that are digitally controlled so I can slow the flow and save electricity if I need or want to.
To start up fill the tank till it overflows into sump. Let the sump become filled to about 2 inches from the top .
Then turn sump on.After a couple minutes of running take a marker or tape and mark the level the sumps water is at[while running].This is THE MAX FILL LINE for the sump while running.This will prevent the sump from being to full and overflowing in the event of a power failure..Return pump lines should not be submerged in the water or they may syphon back more water then the sump will handle [overflow]....Make sure they can catch air and break syphon by shutting pump off a couple times..
Some drill a small[1/8"] hole on the inside of the elbow on the return pipe and that works for them..

So i got my sump kit and was wondering if i had to use the drain plate it can i just run the pipes in the sump to the filter socks?IMG_1515805321.914039.jpg

Okay good. Would it be okay if i put a sailfin and a clown in a 10 gallon for about 6 hours? I want to take the rock and most of the water out of my current tank and setup the new tank before o add fish

Okay just wasn’t sure if moving them twice within a day will be horrible for them

So i have abojt 3/4 if inch of sand in the tank. I order a 40 pound bag and won’t be here till Wednesday. I’m off the next two days so i was thinking might be my best time to do the rockscape snd add the fish and then Wednesday i can slowing add more sand through a pipe or i heard a sandwich bag slowly

So i guess it will be better to add rock and i can do fish then slowly do more sand eventually.

It is best to add rock then sand so that lessens any issues with the rock settling and preventing any possible collapse into the glass.
I don't recall how much/what all is in there now, but you want the 1lbs per gallon rule in effect prior to adding fish. This not only will provide the beneficial bacteria living area, but it will also assist the fish with establishing their safe areas/territories.

I’m. Going to have about 100 pounds of rock. I’m adding my filter from my established tank so the bacteria will help.

Finally got my tank and sump all setup. I turned the pump on and for some reason the water only returns the one side and not the other. Is there something i should be looking for or has anyone else ever had this problem?

If the pump ya higher gph than the overflow, then you’ll empty your return section into the display. You’ll need to install a gate valve after the return pump to cut back on the flow leaving the pump

I have gate values on both drain pipes and both return pipes.inguess i will see if i turn the one side pretty much off and the other open if it helps

Back
Top Bottom