Size sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dromo2189

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello i just bought a 125 gallon tank with overflow. I am trying to figure out what size sump is okay with the room i have. I can get a 55 gallon under it and i will be able to empty the cup on my skimmer still. I was wondering how often the skimmer has to come out of the sump cause it will be difficult with the room i have

The best sized sump is the largest you can fit. More water in the system = better. Dilution is the solution to most of our problems in this hobby.
As for the skimmer, it isn't often that you should have to take the entire thing out. As long as you have enough room to remove the collection cup to empty it and clean the cup/neck on occassion you'll be fine.

Ask unfortunately after trying a 55 gallon won’t fit under my stand. Looks like a 29 is my choice

So i night my tank it’s a 125 with corner overflows. It has a return pipe and drainage in each. The pipes that cane with the tank is 1 1/2 i was wondering what size piping i can use? Can i go with 3/4 or should i try to stay at 1inch

Alright so i probably have to go with pvc pipe instead of the flexible stuff. Do you think if i wanted to i could go down to 1 or 3/4 and still be oksy?

I made my stand to use a 55g as a sump. I have heard bigger is better. Do you plan on a refugium? If so than will need bigger than a 29g.

IMG_1514863500.024743.jpg
Not sure if you can understand my drawing lol but would something like this work? Have a ball value on every line

Another question. How do you move the live rock in my current tank to my new tank? Like will the fish be fine with no hiding spots for a day or how do i get that rock over

Another question. How do you move the live rock in my current tank to my new tank? Like will the fish be fine with no hiding spots for a day or how do i get that rock over

I’m no expert but I recently moved live rock too and the most important thing to remember is that it’s ALIVE so it will constantly need oxygen and saltwater the way I moved mine was I used a 10gal bucket filled it with saltwater and then put an airline in there to oxygen in then I put live rock in and it lived in that bucket for a day or so as I got the new tank fully etablished and didn’t seem to have any problems as far as the fish they should b fine without having hiding spots for a few days but I would prioritize getting more live rock so they don’t get too stressed

Yeah i was hoping to setup my new tank then add some new dry rock and live rock and then add the old live rock i had. I just wasn’t sure if the fish were okay with no hiding spots

I did water changes and used old tank water to transport my stuff across town when I moved.
If it was in the same house, I’d use old tank water to dunk the rock to get any gunk off and just put it in the new system.

Will the fish be okay for a day without hiding spots? I want to get the new rock and old stuff landscaped perfect. Yeah I’m only going to one room to another in the house

So let me ask i found a basic 72 inch t5 unit with extra bulbs for 50. Online i found a 72 inch led blue and white bulb for 60. Which one am i better off with?

Back
Top Bottom