Skilter 250/400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a newbie here, just starting a 30g fish only tank. I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on whether the Skilter filter systems were any decent. Thanx

They're made from extruded plastic, like most hang on filters, so expect spider cracks throughout the plastic after a couple of years. The skimmer must be modified in order to be efficient. You'll need to run an air tube with a diffuser powered by a separate air pump into the skimmer chamber to get max efficiency.

If you plan on running saltwater, I'd suggest a much larger tank than a 30, unless you want to keep a pair of clowns OR 3-4 chromis and nothing else. Larger tanks are also more stable.

Would it be advisable that I invest in two seperate filters then (power/skimmer)? The skilter cought my eye because it was on special for $40.95. I probably couldnt find much better equipment for that price could I? BTW, I would love a bigger aquarium, but this one was given to me, and right now I dont have the budget for a bigger one. Maybe in a few months.

what are you thinking of putting in the tank.

Do you plan a fish only setup?

Fish only with live rock?

Reef?

If your thinking fish only do you plan on having a DSB for your substrate?

What are your plans for decorating the tank.

Many of us dont even use a power filter. skimmer is something you can use but your really not going to find a skimmer thats half way efficent for the price of the skilter unit.

I was wanting a fish only tank, no live rock, with a DSB. Not sure of the fish selection yet. Any suggestions?

My first impresion when I got mine was;

poor quality craftmanship
extremely noisy
needs to be modified in order to get something out of it

I haven't use it yet.

Would no buy one again.

Bye
Norberto

Back
Top Bottom