Skilter 250 Modifications w/diagram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newsalt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Skilter 250 that was recommended to me by my LFS. It is noisy as I'm sure most of you know. I've read alot about the modifications that others have done to quite the unit down. The modifications I read about involved the addition of a wooden air stone into the skimmer tower. None of the articles I read had any type of diagrams to show the novice how to do this modification. So, after reading two or three articles and several posts here, I developed my own and it is attached. I think it's correct and I'm asking the people who did make this modification to their Skilter 250 to look at it and tell me if it's correct. The one thing I wasn't sure about is if the part of the impeller cover that gets connected to the skimmer tower should be disconnected and rotated out of the way. My tank is still cycling and I'd like to make this modification before adding any livestock. Please review and let me know if it's right.

Thanks very much.

I'm thinking that you'll want to leave the connection to the powerhead the way it is. I think that the airstone by itself may not draw enough water into the skimmer tower. If you only have the airstone running, you're going to have a co-current skimmer which is the least effective skimmer design. By running the powerhead into the skimmer tower, you should get at least some counter current effect and much better efficiency. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom