Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
My wife hates my slimmer. When I turn it off to clean it my tank is so quiet and she thinks it should always b that way. Her biggest problem is that it's ugly sticking up off the back. If I add another filter, would it b enough to ditch the skimmer?

Not that I know of other then get another skimmer thats not so noisy. Do you have room in your sump you could do that get one that goes in the sump.Or make more noise so she won't notice lol

The only thing I can tell you then is start a new thread and ask members what skimmers they have and the quietness of them. good luck

I think a sump would solve the problem but I plan on moving in a year or so and a sump would make it more difficult and complicated

An Algae turf scrubber can replace a skimmer if it's done correctly . You do need a sump for it for though so it might not be for you either.

I think a sump would solve the problem but I plan on moving in a year or so and a sump would make it more difficult and complicated

A sump would make your move easier. It houses all your equipment. With unions on your plumbing, it would literally take less than a minute to get your sump out of your stand. It really is a great way to go.

Go for the sump my mate. Not only my salt water tank has a sump even all my 8 fresh water tank in my fishroom is on sump too. The best step towards easy life in fish keep is a sump.

Hondatek said:
An Algae turf scrubber can replace a skimmer if it's done correctly . You do need a sump for it for though so it might not be for you either.

You can do an ATS without a sump, syphon fed overflow box down to your scrubber in a 5g pail then a return pump back up. In essence it is a sump but a very small and simple one. Read up on the turf scrubbers they sound very cool and from all reports they work really well.

I guess you can do it that way but you will be limited on how big your scrubber would be. I have seen nothing but positive results from mine but it is still new at only less than two weeks.

How big of a sump do I need for a 55 gallon tank? Any recommended retailers? It sounds like the way to go to clear up display space

A 20 long would be good for a 55 but the bigger the better

Do u mean a long 20 gal? Don't know much about sumps. That's the biggest reason I don't have one

I didn't wanna mess with building my first sump so I bought a premade one. Bit more pricey but saved me alot of headaches. LOL Here's a link to one that would work with your tank, it has a refugium as well so that's a plus.

Eshopps Refugium R-100, 75-125g, 2nd Generation - AquaCave.com

After the first sump I bought I have made my new ones out of regular fish tanks. :) Alot cheaper and you can customize it.

I've got this far on my own. Got any links on building my own. Time is money, money is time

Back
Top Bottom