Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgaz41
So how to I get it tuned to pull out a wet skim or a dry skim and what is the preferred? Wet or dry skim?
A wet skim would be less air, there will be a knob to adjust air flow. This will make very large wet bubbles and the collection cup will most likely full
up quicker with clearer water. A dry skim will be the really thick which foamy bubbles that will creep up very slowly. Ideally you would want to pull out about a cup of skimmate every few days, so there's not really a preferred, it's just getting yours tuned. Each are going to operate differently on different tanks...

Old 12-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay I gotcha one more question for ya.. What is the difference between the pinwheel skimmers and the recirculating ones this is the link of the one I'm getting just wondering what is better?http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-o...n-skimmer.html

Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would imagine the recirculating are "better", but what it does is has an external pump that feeds the water into it, and then another pump for the actual skimming... Could produce more heat transfer, and are just more to have to deal with... The NWB has 1 pump for intake and skimming. Much easier IMO and just as effective on a smaller tank like a 75. I think the recirculating ones are better for bigger tanks, and can skim more water due to the external pump pushing water through, not too sure though on that.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Top 4 brands within a reasonable price range (IMO): 1)SWC, 2)Reef Octopus 3) Bubble Magus 4) ASM. Cant go wrong with any of them. I have a Bubble Magus and love it. Keeps my tank clean cuz its rated for 3x the size of my tank. I would consider upgrading to an SWC if I could get one for a cheap.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I didn't purchase anything yet I'm looking at reef octo and the SWC skimmers not to sure witch one I'm going with from my research the SWC has a better rating but both seem good the reef octo is 200 and rated for a 150 and mine is a 75 if u see any good prices on SWC let me know I'm looking around but all seem expensive
Old 12-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also keep on mind you can get free shipping for the reef octo from BRS... So in all actuality could save about $80-$100, and I bet you wouldn't see any difference between the reef octo and SWC... For that savings you can tack on a GFO reactor with a pump from BRS
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's exactly where I'm ordering the octo from along with some dry rocks love brs exp there point system thank you for all your help I also got my phosban reactor set up with my phosban media I have it barely tumbling do I know how the phosban media is i never used it before and Iam worried that I'm crushing the media. It barely tumbling in my reactor
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's barely supposed to tumble, like the top layer if anything. Its soft and you will get fines in the tank if it's too fast. I think it's good at like 50 gph. If you look on BRS, there's a video with how to run GFO and carbon...
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The NWB150 has a decent sized footprint make
Sure you have enough space in your sump too
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know gfo and carbon runs at a good tumble but wasn't sure about the phosban media.. And do u know the foot print cause that's whT in ordering its a 20 gallon long for my sump

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com