Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting up a 75g and I was curious as to if it is necessary to have a protein skimmer or not. If so any brands that are recommended

It's not necessary if your going FOWLR , Now if you plans are to start a REEF than yes I highly recommend one , it will help pull all the excess proteins out of the water that corals don't like , it will also improve your water quality

A skimmer is the only filtration method that removes dissolved organic compounds BEFORE they begin to be broken down by the biological filter which results in less work for the BB to perform and lower nitrate and phosphate levels overall.
If you can put a skimmer on your system, you should.
You can run a successful aquarium, fish only or reef, without one but the benefits of a protein skimmer are unique and not to found in other filtration methodologies.
All filtration methodologies deal with the breakdown products of fish waste, a skimmer removes it from the equation completely.
ps, they also help with oxygenation and liberating CO2 from the water.

Okay so I'm going to say it's a must if it's really that beneficial! Now if I have a sump going with a protein skimmer there's no need for an additional filter correct?

Okay so I'm going to say it's a must if it's really that beneficial! Now if I have a sump going with a protein skimmer there's no need for an additional filter correct?

that is the basic "Berlin" method, so yes you can, but keep in mind the more filtration methodologies you employ, the larger the margin of error is.
In a basic skimmer/live rock configuration you need to be more cautious concerning stocking levels and feeding regime.

I see what you're saying. It definitely couldn't hurt. I would be able to put the filter in the same chamber as the skimmer then

If your budget allows and Deltec are available where you live they are defo worth a look one of the best skimmers on the market

If your budget allows and Deltec are available where you live they are defo worth a look one of the best skimmers on the market

i definitely want to look into a skimmer but idk about spending that much on one right now. Can you suggest maybe some cheaper ones?

Back
Top Bottom