Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to jester Send a message via Yahoo to jester
skimmer?

i was given this 40g tank loaded with corals a madirn it is 3 years old and everything is great but there is no protein skimmer should i add one even thow everything is fine

my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

It can't hurt. How long has the mandarin been in there and about how much LR is in there. They need quite a large amount of live rock.

Inverts - (2) Peppermint Shrimp, Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp, (5) Turbo Snails, (4) Nassarius Snails, (10) Blue Leg Hermits, Emerald Crab, (3) Scarlett Crabs, some small starfish(hitchhikers)

My Aquarium Photos
localhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

the mandarin has been in there for 1 and a half years and is the fatest one i have ever seen i have ane in my other tank too they both have plenty of pod the tank that was given to me also has a Royal Gramma Basslet and alot of corals and 2 star fish and a ton of pods i can see them even with the lights on the mouth on the basslet is huge like a large mouth bass he even picks of some pods i seen him grab some kind of worm of a peice of lr it was like 3inches long it was cool she gave me everything she had pumps heaters 10g qt tank enoguht frozen food for 2 years chemicals but she had no skimmer i was suprised i have one on my other tank i think i will get one eventually and it is such a simple tank it just has some pumps in it and a eclipes top no wet dry just the top she is a vet and is married to a lawyer they are moving to boston after they travel threw europe so she just wannted to give it to someone who would take good care of it and i was that lucky person well sorry for rambling im bored thanks Jester
my tank for now is a 60g with a little live sand and then just play sand I got 80 pounds of live rock now I have a wet dry with no bio balls and a protein skimmer and uv steralizer I have power compacts 260 watts I have 1 damsels 1yellow tang 1 flame angel one yellow strip maroon clownfishand and a feather duster and a bulb anemones that the clown lives in and colony polops and some kenya tree corals and 2 fire shrimp snails and hermit crabs and some other crabs

i just got a 40g with like 6 inches of live sand and it is loaded with corals and inverts it was given to me by a friend she had it for 3 years there is a brain coral wellsophyllia and a platygyra brain worm coral green striped mushrooms and red mushrooms yellow colony polyp and button polyp and some type of hard coral not sure what it is also alot of kenya tree oh ya and 2 giant star fish
Old 10-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #4

Skimmers are almost a must with inverts. If you're very disciplined in feeding and changing water, then a skimmer may not be necessary. Certainly couldn't hurt anything. If you do decide to get one, go with a decent one - don't skimp. Good luck!

KG
Old 10-09-2005, 09:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

does anyone know of a good one that will fit a eclipse top i have a skimmer in my sump on my other tank i dont know anything about the hang on ones thanks

Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #6

Check out Marine Depot for sizes on Remora. Might be too big, but you never know.

KG

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com