I'm just finishing up my cycle now. Originally I would only have the lights on for a few(<3) hours a day. I was told the lights would only cause nuisance algae growth. I did run my prtein skimmer at max. It took out alot of crap. Once the ammonia started to drop and the die-off stpped the ammount it removed dropped drastically. As I noticed the macroalgaes growing I slowly increased the light period.
My cycles been going for about 4 weeks and the Nitrites are tapering off. The macro algae has begun to take off, I'm transferring some of it into the fuge. I haven't had any diatom or cyano
outbreaks. 3 Crabs did make it through the cycle and there slowly eating the 'fuzz' on the LR