Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Skimmer Box Idea

Just browsing the cpr site and came across a cpr intank fuge. Thought to myself if i cut some teeth in the top it would make a good skimmer box. Plus the powerhead would keep the water going thru it all the time.
http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/...016.100000&l=1

Old 11-14-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It would probably work although I don't see the need for the powerhead if you are intending to use it for a surface skimmer for a HOB protien skimmer. You'd defeat the purpose of having the surface skimmer by running the PH on it IMO. I wonder if one of the Aqua C surface skimmer boxes would work for you? They are already set up for a skimmer and are intended for use with a MJ1200 or, the larger model, with a Mag 3.

If you were intending to use it as an internal overflow skimmer, I wouldn't trust the suction cups to keep it attached. I'd probably add some kind of bracket or drill it for a nylon bolt just to be safe.

Old 11-14-2003, 10:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

no not for a skimmer just a standalone skimmer box. i guess if you have top water circulation the water will just naturally go thru it. Since i dont have an overflow tho it would just be in the corner of the tank collecting surface scum. Also have a flat piece inside the box like acrylic with holes in it, kinda like a cheese grater to collect the surface gunk.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
OK...hmmm...I'm not really sure how that would turn out. I guess you'd just have to try it and see how well it worked. You could always revert to using it as an in tank fuge if the skimmer thing didn't do what you wanted it to. So, it wouldn't be a loss either way.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com