skimmer choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I am still fighting the algae thing. I am thinking that I must invest in the protein skimmer. I can't afford a great one so I have really been trying to figure out the best choice for my buck. I have narrowed it down to a Seaclone, or a Prizm. Does anyone have any input on the two or maybe a different one in about the same pricerange of 75.00 or so.

It needs to be a hang-on style and for a 55g.

Thanks
Howard

Take it from me, spend the extra cash and get yourself an Aqua C Remora hang on protein skimmer. It's plug and play, works instantly, so quiet you'll forget you have a skimmer, and pulls out some incredibly disgusting looking waste filled water. You will notice within a week's time how much better your water quality will be. I regret throwing away my hard earned cash throughout the years on the brands you've mentioned. Show your wallet, your peace of mind, and most importantly your fish, some love and go for the Aqua C Remora. I bought mine from Marinedepot.com for less than 200 bucks. Or go check out proteinskimmer.com for more info on the Aqua C's or wetwebmedia.com and read about first hand accounts with these skimmers.
Just in case the thought crossed your mind, I do not work for any fish company, I'm just a marine fish enthusiast who's wasted enough money on the wrong thing and killed many innocent fishes due to my lack of researching products before purchasing. I've never been happier with an aquarium product in the 13 years I've been doing this. Hope this helps... 8O

I routinely hear good things about the Remora skimmers as well. Tis what I will be purchasing on my next tank splurge...

BTW, WELCOME to Aquarium Advice gFishguy :!: :mrgreen:

well i am in the same boat as you but i just bought the seclone 100 and boy i think its great. with in 3 days i could tell a change. it pulled out so much gunk. i could not belive my eyes! if the aqua c does better i cant wait to see what that does for my tank. but yea i would get the seaclone its not plug n play but not hard to put together a kid could do it! not loud either but yea back to your question i would perfer the seaclone 100 for a 55
later
michael

thank you BillyZ. I've been constantly coming to this site the past month and reading and learning some things, and after my experience with this new Aqua C skimmer, i felt i just had to give my 2 cents on it...

I will say that I am brand new to SW, but I do have a Seaclone skimmer and so far I am happy. I just put in my uncured LR yesterday so my tank is only starting to cycle. Within about an hour, the skimmer started pulling "gunk" out of the water. I was really impressed with the speed it which it started to work.

I did a 20% water change today to knock the ammonia level down a bit and since then, the skimmer hasn't pulled anything out. I can only assume it is because I removed a lot of the DOC's when I did the water change.

Biggen said:
since then, the skimmer hasn't pulled anything out. I can only assume it is because I removed a lot of the DOC's when I did the water change.
did you use any additives in your change water (other than salt)? I believe I've heard that some additives can affect the funciton of skimmers. Only temporarily though.

did you use any additives in your change water (other than salt)? I believe I've heard that some additives can affect the funciton of skimmers. Only temporarily though.

No, not at all. From what I have read, adding anything to the tank in it cycling phase is pretty futile since all the levels are going to swing around anyway.

I'll check it tommorow and see if it is producing anything. What is with the "break in" phase, anyway, that the manual talks about? Is this will all skimmers? If I turn the skimmer off, does it have to "break in" again?

Back
Top Bottom