Skimmer in a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Searchin

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 55 gallon and I really want to get it started... I was going to drill it and add a sump and all that jazz. However, I had a simple thought...

Question: if you set up a 55 primarily for a reef.. And only had 2 clown fish maybe a 3rd small fish.... Would you really need a skimmer? The waste coming from 3 little fish wouldn't be much. I already have that in my 20 gallon. I do water changes regularly.

Any thoughts?

So I have a 55 gallon and I really want to get it started... I was going to drill it and add a sump and all that jazz. However, I had a simple thought...

Question: if you set up a 55 primarily for a reef.. And only had 2 clown fish maybe a 3rd small fish.... Would you really need a skimmer? The waste coming from 3 little fish wouldn't be much. I already have that in my 20 gallon. I do water changes regularly.

Any thoughts?

well, in all my threads inquiring about a skimmer vs skimmerless setup, it always comes down to water quality. whether the bioload be small or large, eventually its going to build up, poop, pee, uneaten food, just general crap in the water you want to pull out, youll be surprised when your water looks crystal clear, and look at that cup and think, wow all that was in the water? so yes add a skimmer, and you never know you might change your mind on fish stock later on and guess what, youll be ready bud!

heres a link to a few good hob skimmers, im going with the bh1000 for my 75g reef build (y)

Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Reef Octopus BH1000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

just in case you might want to upgrade to a bigger tank later :D (we all do eventually)

Reef Octopus DBH300 Dual Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

So as long as I check them weekly, it should be ok?

Its not that urgent of a danger I change my filters and do water changes alternating every 2wks, one weekend filters, one weekend water, and so on. I've never had one overflow on me you'll hear the dribble of water back into the tank water before it even comes close to overflowing. So don't worry too much about that.

Since you are doing a sump you should get an in sump skimmer. After doing just some routine maintenance I adjusted the intake on the skimmer after emptying the cup and got sidetracked. 10 minutes later I go back in there and it was overflowing out of the top glad I had it in the sump. Really any risk that you can eliminate you should no matter how unlikely it is.

Now with that said while two fish is not a big bioload, I agree you should def use one but get a good one like the reef octopus or vertex or mrc. I bit for the deal on the coralife and I'm not that happy with it I should've just spent the extra 200 for the sro.

Since you are doing a sump you should get an in sump skimmer. After doing just some routine maintenance I adjusted the intake on the skimmer after emptying the cup and got sidetracked. 10 minutes later I go back in there and it was overflowing out of the top glad I had it in the sump. Really any risk that you can eliminate you should no matter how unlikely it is.

Now with that said while two fish is not a big bioload, I agree you should def use one but get a good one like the reef octopus or vertex or mrc. I bit for the deal on the coralife and I'm not that happy with it I should've just spent the extra 200 for the sro.

Ya I have 3 coralife skimmers, 1 out of 10 I give it 4!?!?

Back
Top Bottom