Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to gimincorp
Skimmer instead of Canister Filter?

Hi,
Question for the experts out there: can a protein skimmer (fairly large) be used instead of a canister filter on a salt water tank?
My tank is 10 G. My power filter choices are: Fluval 204 or Fluval 304.
My skimmer is HOB with powerhead.

P.S. Currently I have the following tanks:

45 Gallon Freshwater with Fluval 304
29 Gallon Freshwater with Fluval 204
10 Gallon Saltwater with Eheim Professional II
If 204 is less powerful than Eheim Pro, I'd want to swap them - good idea or bad?

Also, how do you fix a leaking tube/waterstop joint? - Fumi tape and metal clamps?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hmmm, that's a good questions. I can't speak for the skimmer, but it might be a good idea on a nano, as opposed to a filter. The skimmer will remove DOCs, but you can run media in a filter, like purigen, chemipure, phosban or even add LR rubble for extra biofiltration. So, I guess I just talked up the filter! LOL! I'll let the nano/skimmer folks give you their advice.
Where is the leak?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would be concerned that you could even fit a protein skimmer on a 10g without it being an eyesore. a skimmer is a great idea but has no place to house beneficial bacteria if you skip the filter you need lots of live rock surface area for bacterial growth that would replace the filter. The skimmer really wouldn't replace the filter. granted adding a skimmer does give a little extra surface area for bacteria I wouldn't rely on it alone.

Which skimmer do you have how much live rock and how much flow does your tank have??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

As Fiji hit on, you need a place for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. That would be either on Live Rock/Live Sand or a filter. The protein skimmer is not a filter nor a filter substitute. It removes disolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water, but does not help help convert waste from ammonia into nitrite/nitrate/nitrogen. The cannister filter will help with the first two parts of the trifecta. You will have to rely on PWCs for the nitrate removal unless you add macro algea or a denitrifier.
The skimmer is a nice to have on that tank but not a necessity.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

They make nano skimmers (but skimmers and nanos are out of my experience range).

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to gimincorp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
As Fiji hit on, you need a place for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. That would be either on Live Rock/Live Sand or a filter. The protein skimmer is not a filter nor a filter substitute. It removes disolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water, but does not help help convert waste from ammonia into nitrite/nitrate/nitrogen. The cannister filter will help with the first two parts of the trifecta. You will have to rely on PWCs for the nitrate removal unless you add macro algea or a denitrifier.
The skimmer is a nice to have on that tank but not a necessity.
ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Just thought of it now: what if I integrate filter's outflow into skimmer's inflow? There is plenty of space in the back to hook up both...
Old 05-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I doubt that would be efficient. The skimmer would be pulling from the foltered water and not directly from the tank. I would think you want the skimmer pulling straight from the tank to remove as much DOCs as possible. Plus you would have to match up the filter's GPH output with the skimmers input volume.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com