Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2015, 07:20 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's alive!!!!

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6iomr9l0.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psemqotkcq.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psa8stkmkg.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...pseum6wnky.jpg

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/...psxzjobox7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Looks good!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, now I just need the skimmer, Chaeto with sump light and I plan on adding a mesh top to keep the fish inside.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:14 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know I'm coming into this conversation late, but I just came upon this thread and I have an idea for you.

Background: For the last year I was fighting an algae outbreak in my tank. I have a 110 gal tank with sump, a Reef Octopus SRO 2000 (for up to a 500 gal tank) and a reactor running phosguard. Nitrates and phosphates were all 0, yet I had algae. I tried everything to get rid of it, but in the end a large CUC of hermits has solved my problems. However, during this process, towards the end, someone mentioned an Algae Turf Scrubber (ATS) might be the way to go. So a few months ago I built an ATS and pulled both the skimmer and reactor out (along with their not so silent pumps). Low and behold, that was the start to my road to recovery. Even without the skimmer for a few months now, and increasing my feeding schedule (daily feeding now), my algae is almost completely gone, with the last few spots shrinking noticeably daily.

For what your pics show of your sump, you are perfectly set up for what I wish I would have done as I also have a 2 section sump. I would consider a weir type ATS setup. This would require very little to build in the sump you showed on the 25th.

You would need some 1/2" pvc pipe, fittings, an acrylic rod and #7 plastic sewing mesh.
Using the fittings and pipe, you would build a few vertical pipes along the front and back glass, held apart by a couple pipes connecting the front and back rows.
The vertical pipes would have a slit cut on the inside right thru to the top of the pipe.
Then the mesh would be cut long enough to fit into the slit in a front and corresponding back pipe. a length of acrylic rod would be cut to the same height as the pipes and zip tied to either end of the mesh. The rods would slide down into the pipes with the mesh going out the slots.
Water in the sump would then flow through the mesh screens and with a light, algae would grow there. You would easily remove the screens on a 1 a week or 2 basis and scrape it clean. Your pods would love it.
Best of all, I have only the return pump in my sump, no more noisy skimmer and reactor pumps to listen to.

I'll try to post a drawing of what I'm trying to describe.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:18 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1422944262.502364.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	263147

Here's what I'm trying to describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'll give that a try although I added a baffle for the skimmer section. Doing some research now on how to build that.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I finally bought a skimmer and I went with the curve 5. I have had it running for 2 days with no luck. It just overflows. I have it sitting at about 8 inches of water. No matter how much I keep adjusting it I can't get it to stop over filling. Has anyone had this same problem?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, the max and min are the wrong way round! Run it on max for a while and then adjust it accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-31-2015, 10:09 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Many wipe out new skimmers with vinegar to remove factory "release" agents.
many most skimmers take days if not a week or more to break in.
Is there any flow(water gph) control?
IMO you want to slow the water speed and leave the air flow as is to control the overflowing.
Being new to skimmers it is a balancing act to get flow in,air and out flow in tune.
If you can't control it then let it overflow (hopefully back into sump?) until it breaks in.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I've had it on max for 2 days now. I guess I'll give it a couple more days to see if it adjusts.

Tags
skimmer, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com