Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Skimmer needed on 55 gallon reef?

Hello,

I have a 55 gallon reef tank that is in the works. It has been up and running for 2 1/2 to 3 months now, and has 56 pounds of cured live rock, and 40 pounds of live sand. I have been doing 15 gallon water changes weekly, and cleaning the Rena XP3 canister filter weekly as well. My ammonia and nitrites always read 0, and my nitrates have been between 5-20 per my API test kit. Unfortunately my tank stand has very limited space under it, and that small space is already occupied by my Rena, so there is no room for a sump, nor a refugium. If the Rena could come out, then a sump would fit, but am not sure if removing the Rena would cause a problem and kill my fish. I have read/heard that HOB/HOT skimmers are not all that great compared to in-sump skimmers. So I'm not really sure what to do? Will my water changes be enough to keep the water quality high, or is a skimmer a necessity? Right now the tank has two 1" percula clownfish, and a peppermint shrimp.

I've read that the Deltec MCE600 HOB is decent, but cost over $500, whereas a $300 in-sump skimmer would do a much better job.

Jared

Old 01-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You know skimmers are one of those things you just have to decide on. I have friends that dont use them and seem to do OK. The do good size PWC`s to make up for it. I personally believe they are good investments. I use an excalibur. If you want the best then Octopus brand is the best IMO.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
for your size tank you could get a decent skimmer that hangs on the back.
this should work for ya-
Reef Octopus Hang-on-the-Back 1000 OCT-BH1000 - English

or you could pay attention to your tank and see if you might not need it. it will also depend on your tank husbandry, and stock list.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

"or you could pay attention to your tank and see if you might not need it. it will also depend on your tank husbandry, and stock list."

So far I have been doing weekly water changes, and cleaning my filter at the same time. With that, the water quality has been very good. I would like to be able to go at least 2 weeks or more between water changes, that is the goal. I am now looking into a HOB refugium, I am thinking that may be a good way to go in removing nutrients from the water column, as well as providing a food source for my fish as well.

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking that with weekly PWC, that a skimmer is not necessary for the time being while I research more into what I need to do.

Jared

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, reef, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com