Skimmer ? PLUS Yes I have searched...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

75galsalt

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi fellow SW Lovers... I have been seeking info for a skimmer for a while, the lfs is all about commission and it makes me mad when i need real info.

Here is what I have so far..

75 Gal

I made my saltwater (Salinity is fine)

have 84.5 lbs of LR (all just bought)

20 lbs of live sand (just bought)

Was talked into a bio wheel filter

Want a fish only tank

Have been told to buy a Excaliper (sp) Skimmer HOB type

Much cheaper on ebay, but do I need it or is there anything that will do the job, to keep the water clear.

I bought a Royal Gamma it died in less than 12 hours

Also bought a Peppermint Shrimp it is doing great (and eating that Gamma)

have been told the rock is cured, bought royal gamma as he told me it was a good water tester, will change colors lighter if not great brighter if good... these water test i have not figured out yet... but my shrimp is loving life

LFS sounds like a moron. Find a new one. Greensboro is only one hour away. What is the name of the store? If you have not purchased a test kit then you need to. Save your money and do not purchase any more fish until your tank is cycled. Go to a local grocery store and get a raw shrimp and throw it in your tank, or you could leave the basslet in there and do the same thing. Cured rock if truly "cured" will seed the tank for the cycle but can also kick off a cycle itself do to die off.

Name of store is Aquamans they have a site online too .. i hate going there but the only store around that has anything to do with salt,,, they are sooo darned commission driven that is only reason i waited till now to do anything.. bought tank in Nov of 05 just now put water in it last friday

Holy moly! That LFS should be burned down! Wow, the worst LFS i've been in which told me so many bad things (chocolate chip stars were reef safe, flowerpot was easy, etc.) even told me that i have to cycle before adding live stocks. If possible, mayb u should start purchasing stuff online. Do some more research before u do anything tho. I did stuff without researching carefully awhile back and there were LOTS of heartaches (deaths of so many things) and holes in my dad's wallets. I wish u luck.

Is Winston to far for you to drive? I think there is a decent store there. The one I frequent is in Kannapolis.

I would not add the shrimp if you already have a fish in the tank. Test the water every day to monitor the amm and nitrite levels. If the start to raise a water change will be needed. Adding a dead shrimp may only cause a fast increase in amm and nitrite killing the fish.

The LFS is a idiot and only after a quick sell. Shrimp are delicate and it may not live in a new tank if the LR is not cured. Add NO other fish for a mont or 2, just monitor the tanks levels..

If the LR is cured you will see no level jumps and all will be fine.. Good test kits are needed, salifert kits are nice kits and easy to use.

thanks folks... I will not visit the store again uggg pisses me off.. new change now though.. my poor shrimp is still running around, he is clearly eating the dead fish (almost like going to outback steakhouse meal for him grr) but the shrimp is losing color he is now white not red

but my concern is the skimmer.. still donot have one and they range so many prices ranges.. clearly the more the better like most, but what can I get that will DO the job, I own a Chevy car, would love a Jag. But my chevy does the job fine...

Make sense?

go to marinedepot they have a coralife super skimmer for a up to a 65 gl tank for I belive right now for 79.95 plus shipping.

like you mentioned in your first post...Ebay is a <potentially> good source for a protein skimmer that might have some more in your price range. I actually bought mine off Ebay, and yes, i was kind of skeptical doing so, but I'm actually really happy with my purchase. Just try to find a reputable seller, I guess...You can always ask them questions about the skimmer before you bid/buy.
good luck!

I just got back from the LFS in Greensboro and thought that it was pretty expensive. I believe it was Aquamains. Anyone else agree?

Also, can anyone in North Carolina recommend a better fish store around Chapel Hill. Willing to drive a bit.

Back
Top Bottom