Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Skimmer ? PLUS Yes I have searched...

Hi fellow SW Lovers... I have been seeking info for a skimmer for a while, the lfs is all about commission and it makes me mad when i need real info.

Here is what I have so far..

75 Gal

I made my saltwater (Salinity is fine)

have 84.5 lbs of LR (all just bought)

20 lbs of live sand (just bought)

Was talked into a bio wheel filter

Want a fish only tank

Have been told to buy a Excaliper (sp) Skimmer HOB type

Much cheaper on ebay, but do I need it or is there anything that will do the job, to keep the water clear.

I bought a Royal Gamma it died in less than 12 hours

Also bought a Peppermint Shrimp it is doing great (and eating that Gamma)

Old 04-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you even cycled the tank?

Old 04-17-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

have been told the rock is cured, bought royal gamma as he told me it was a good water tester, will change colors lighter if not great brighter if good... these water test i have not figured out yet... but my shrimp is loving life
Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS sounds like a moron. Find a new one. Greensboro is only one hour away. What is the name of the store? If you have not purchased a test kit then you need to. Save your money and do not purchase any more fish until your tank is cycled. Go to a local grocery store and get a raw shrimp and throw it in your tank, or you could leave the basslet in there and do the same thing. Cured rock if truly "cured" will seed the tank for the cycle but can also kick off a cycle itself do to die off.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Name of store is Aquamans they have a site online too .. i hate going there but the only store around that has anything to do with salt,,, they are sooo darned commission driven that is only reason i waited till now to do anything.. bought tank in Nov of 05 just now put water in it last friday
Old 04-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Holy moly! That LFS should be burned down! Wow, the worst LFS i've been in which told me so many bad things (chocolate chip stars were reef safe, flowerpot was easy, etc.) even told me that i have to cycle before adding live stocks. If possible, mayb u should start purchasing stuff online. Do some more research before u do anything tho. I did stuff without researching carefully awhile back and there were LOTS of heartaches (deaths of so many things) and holes in my dad's wallets. I wish u luck.

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is Winston to far for you to drive? I think there is a decent store there. The one I frequent is in Kannapolis.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not add the shrimp if you already have a fish in the tank. Test the water every day to monitor the amm and nitrite levels. If the start to raise a water change will be needed. Adding a dead shrimp may only cause a fast increase in amm and nitrite killing the fish.

The LFS is a idiot and only after a quick sell. Shrimp are delicate and it may not live in a new tank if the LR is not cured. Add NO other fish for a mont or 2, just monitor the tanks levels..

If the LR is cured you will see no level jumps and all will be fine.. Good test kits are needed, salifert kits are nice kits and easy to use.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks folks... I will not visit the store again uggg pisses me off.. new change now though.. my poor shrimp is still running around, he is clearly eating the dead fish (almost like going to outback steakhouse meal for him grr) but the shrimp is losing color he is now white not red

but my concern is the skimmer.. still donot have one and they range so many prices ranges.. clearly the more the better like most, but what can I get that will DO the job, I own a Chevy car, would love a Jag. But my chevy does the job fine...

Make sense?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

go to marinedepot they have a coralife super skimmer for a up to a 65 gl tank for I belive right now for 79.95 plus shipping.

Tags
skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com