Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Skimmer Problem?

This morning before work doing my normal quick inspection, i noticed a thick layer of bubble/suds in my sump. I started looking around and i noticed my skimmer collection cup was completely full of water, and the bubbles were coming out of it. I shut the skimmer down emptied and washed out the collection cup and put it back on. Powering up the skimmer, it filled roughly 1/3of the cup with water in less then 30 seconds. I left to let the dogs out for their morning pee, came back in and the collection cup had refilled with water again and was forcing bubbles out the top of the cup.

The only thing i did was to add 2 large pieces of Base rock to the tank last night, and maybe 3 lbs of rubble to the sump. Could this be causing that?

The water level in the sump is a bit higher then it was, i am assuming because of the rock displacing water ( each piece of rock in the display tank weighs in at a touch over 20lb)

I uploaded pictures to my album, one is what the sump normally looked like, and the other 2 are how it looked this morning

Thanks for any help you can provide

Old 10-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check to see if your air bleed is partially submerged. If it is that may be the problem, depending on model of course.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

the air bleed hose is still above the water line, i checked that, i did not check where it attaches to the pump tho, i could double check that this evening
Old 10-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It def sounds like something with the air mixing or lack there of. Mine does that on occasion I usually have to play with the mixing valve at the pump. That or my air bleed falls into the sump.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dano
It def sounds like something with the air mixing or lack there of. Mine does that on occasion I usually have to play with the mixing valve at the pump. That or my air bleed falls into the sump.
I run hot ro water thru airhose about once a month to get any clogs out where it connects to pump sounds like lack of air to me

Tags
problem, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com