skimmer problem/question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my new in-sump ViaAqua SK300 skimmer. I turned it on (tank just started 1 day ago, still cycling) and it is pouring lots of micro bubbles back into the tank. Will this rid over time since it is "breaking in"? i really hope so. if it doesnt, what do I do?

Over time the amount of micro bubbles should reduce...the better skimmers have none or very little bubbles...but yours seems to be fairly decent.....give it some time I figure. I read an article (somewhere) that some amount of micro bubbles is good for the tank, as far as airation is concerned.....

I saw this posted from another member...hope this helps

"Joes Juice is great. It's safe for all corals, and will eliminate aiptasia right quickly. That, along with the addition of peppermint shrimp (great aiptasia eaters) is how I keep my tank free of them. "

Thanks. I just killed all of mine. I took a turkey baster and boiling water and dripped it on the aiptasia outside of the tank. Killed them instantly (almost melted them). I have TONS of microbubbles. I mean the tank is really cloudy. How long until it gets better? Why does it even do that at first?

Not sure how long until it gets better....I would say between 3 to 6 weeks though....and I really have no idea why the skimmers do that at first.

Try putting a sponge on the Skimmer output if you can it will reduce the number of bubbles that escape. Once the skimmer starts to produce a thicker foam, the micros bubbles should start to go away. Another good idea is to have the output of the skimmer as far away from the return as you can so that the bubblws will surface in the sump and not get pushed up to the tank. What the h#$% add a baffle between the skimmer and return and it might block them there as well. There are a lot of options, it all depends on your setup and ability to build. Good luck.

I see, I have a piece of foam over the outlet. I will try moving around the sump so it soesnt suck up all the bubbles. Also, my skimmer isnt making any foam come into the collection cup. Is there something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom