Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Skimmer producing alot of bubbles.

Is it normal for my skimmer to be producing allot of bubbles, it dont look like foam, just bubbles. It runs for about 30 seconds and starts overflowing. Notice; i dont have it running yet, and my tank is only new, im about a week and a few days into a cycle.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:50 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You didnt say what kind of skimmer it was. Have you added any chemicals like stress coat? Some additives increase surface tension and will mess with your skimmer. If youre new into a cycle and dont have a bioload you wont produce skimmate. Also adjust the collection cup, if its filling up too fast raise it until you get a dry foam in it.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes. i just think its where the tank hasent cycled fully yet. and the water is still a little "thin"
Old 11-25-2003, 09:51 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Have you added any chemicals like stress coat?
OR have you used any other chemical that is markted as a 'slime coat' replacment?

The reason is that your skimmer will go CRAZY in trying to remove this and will act exactly like you describe in filling the collection cup within seconds. If a tank is new and you have no DOC's then your skimmer wont have anything to skim and it will take weeks to fill the collection cup so I feel that what your seeing is a result of some cheimcal that you might have added to the water.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes, this could be true. The conditionr i was used had a stress coat already in it. So maybe this is what is going on.

Tags
bubble, bubbles, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com