Skimmer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting ready to build my DIY Sump/Fuge and have a question. I notice most people put the skimmer in the area where the drain line enters the sump. This weekend while talking with an LFS they said they prefer the skimmer after the fuge. The reasoning was that if it were before the fuge it would remove things that are beneficial for the fuge. I would love to hear pros and cons both ways to help me decide how I want to build my sump.

Thanks,
Rich

Mine is also before. I think the idea with before is to give the fuge a good clean enviroment, just like your tank. The skimmer should remove organics but it should leave behind some of the nutrients. If you skim after the fuge then you risk skimming up your pods which I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. Maybe they survuive the skimming, maybe they don't not so sure. lol

believe me, plenty of stuff gets by the skimmer. you do not want to have to vacuum the refugium either. if i had my choice between starving the refugium, and having to vacuum it out or it possibly becoming a source of nitrate, i would take option A.
do they feel the same way about filter socks? they starve the refugium? if so, why do we need the refugium?

Excellent points. They showed me the set up on one of the huge display tanks at the front of the store and it had filter socks so I guess they are contradicting themselves already. :) And I want to take advantage of the pods. Never know if I will want a mandarin one day. :)

probably all been said. ha and i probably got a lot of my info from all who answered. so +1 to them all. and mine is before the fuge.

to be honest, i don't think a skimmer will kill copepods. i get a lot of limpets living in the skimmer neck, and they don't seem to be bothered by it.

You want the the skimmer first, then the refugium w/ macro, then the return.

Back
Top Bottom