Skimmerless 20 gal ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was asked by my younger brother if he were to set up a 20 gal salt water does he need a skimmer if he is only stocking with a few fish and live rock?

A skimmers purpose is to remove protein based organics from the water column before it enters the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is what feeds algae growth. It is also what can kill your coral/fishes.

With a 20 gallon, I would strongly recommend it, since its a small tank it's more likely that your parameters could fluctuate pretty quickly.

I've heard of people running nanos with no skimmer. I have a 150 so I'm not very familiar with smaller tanks.

Over filtration is much much better than under filtration. I understand that a skimmer is expensive, But so is constantly replacing dying critters.

It's generally not needed to run a skimmer on a nano tank. Personally, I have an overstocked 20g reef with a 10g refugium growing grape caulerpa and haven't had a positive nitrate reading in about 3 months. Once you move to larger tanks a skimmer gets to be more of a priority.

A skimmers purpose is to remove protein based organics from the water column before it enters the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is what feeds algae growth. It is also what can kill your coral/fishes.

With a 20 gallon, I would strongly recommend it, since its a small tank it's more likely that your parameters could fluctuate pretty quickly.

I've heard of people running nanos with no skimmer. I have a 150 so I'm not very familiar with smaller tanks.

Over filtration is much much better than under filtration. I understand that a skimmer is expensive, But so is constantly replacing dying critters.

I have a 75 gal now and I have a skimmer ,
It seams to be very effective by the color and smell of the skimate . Lol

I was asked by my younger brother if he were to set up a 20 gal salt water does he need a skimmer if he is only stocking with a few fish and live rock?

ill be the one to tell you, no you dont. as long as you over filter the water like a refugium or a strong hob filter, your good. im running a 36g bow front with just a hob rated for 75g and it does WORK. i just keep up with weekly water changes and filter/media swaps as long as you follow a strict routine your golden.

It's generally not needed to run a skimmer on a nano tank. Personally, I have an overstocked 20g reef with a 10g refugium growing grape caulerpa and haven't had a positive nitrate reading in about 3 months. Once you move to larger tanks a skimmer gets to be more of a priority.

true, im maybe contemplating a nano skimmer for my tank but so far everything is happy and healthy. i plan on maybe 5-6 fish tops and corals too so far its going very well.

It's definitely not a bad idea to have a skimmer on that tank, but it's not necesary

It's not needed. I have a 20 with no skimmer, but do have a HOB filter w/ two floss pads and Purigen. I also only feed every other day.

It's not needed. I have a 20 with no skimmer, but do have a HOB filter w/ two floss pads and Purigen. I also only feed every other day.

x2 i use nls sinking pellets and only drop about 10 pellets in for feeding once a day and the hermits, shrimp and snails scoop the rest up lol but i do have regular carbon cartridges in my filter, plus 5micron polyfil

What are you using for filtration?

What are you using for filtration?

topfin 75 high output hob filter, carbon cartridges, polyfil floss, and live rock, an all star clean up crew, plus im about to setup a pair of koralia nano 425's to complete the current in my tank.

Powerheads, live rock, and grape caulerpa

Ok, I've heard both. People using filters, and people just using live rock and a refugieum. That's enough filtration, your water stays pretty clean/clear with that as your filtration?

Ok, I've heard both. People using filters, and people just using live rock and a refugieum. That's enough filtration, your water stays pretty clean/clear with that as your filtration?

The water in my dt is perfectly clear. My only problem with it is I have a poorly designed refugium and there's a lot of detritus build up in there. But I just siphon it all out with my water changes.

The water in my dt is perfectly clear. My only problem with it is I have a poorly designed refugium and there's a lot of detritus build up in there. But I just siphon it all out with my water changes.

x2 mines been crystal clear since day one of my cycle to now, ive never had a cloud problem at all,

Back
Top Bottom