Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Skimmerless 20 gal ?

I was asked by my younger brother if he were to set up a 20 gal salt water does he need a skimmer if he is only stocking with a few fish and live rock?

Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A skimmers purpose is to remove protein based organics from the water column before it enters the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is what feeds algae growth. It is also what can kill your coral/fishes.

With a 20 gallon, I would strongly recommend it, since its a small tank it's more likely that your parameters could fluctuate pretty quickly.

I've heard of people running nanos with no skimmer. I have a 150 so I'm not very familiar with smaller tanks.

Over filtration is much much better than under filtration. I understand that a skimmer is expensive, But so is constantly replacing dying critters.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's generally not needed to run a skimmer on a nano tank. Personally, I have an overstocked 20g reef with a 10g refugium growing grape caulerpa and haven't had a positive nitrate reading in about 3 months. Once you move to larger tanks a skimmer gets to be more of a priority.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztkirkpatric View Post
A skimmers purpose is to remove protein based organics from the water column before it enters the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is what feeds algae growth. It is also what can kill your coral/fishes.

With a 20 gallon, I would strongly recommend it, since its a small tank it's more likely that your parameters could fluctuate pretty quickly.

I've heard of people running nanos with no skimmer. I have a 150 so I'm not very familiar with smaller tanks.

Over filtration is much much better than under filtration. I understand that a skimmer is expensive, But so is constantly replacing dying critters.
I have a 75 gal now and I have a skimmer ,
It seams to be very effective by the color and smell of the skimate . Lol
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I was asked by my younger brother if he were to set up a 20 gal salt water does he need a skimmer if he is only stocking with a few fish and live rock?
ill be the one to tell you, no you dont. as long as you over filter the water like a refugium or a strong hob filter, your good. im running a 36g bow front with just a hob rated for 75g and it does WORK. i just keep up with weekly water changes and filter/media swaps as long as you follow a strict routine your golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
It's generally not needed to run a skimmer on a nano tank. Personally, I have an overstocked 20g reef with a 10g refugium growing grape caulerpa and haven't had a positive nitrate reading in about 3 months. Once you move to larger tanks a skimmer gets to be more of a priority.
true, im maybe contemplating a nano skimmer for my tank but so far everything is happy and healthy. i plan on maybe 5-6 fish tops and corals too so far its going very well.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's definitely not a bad idea to have a skimmer on that tank, but it's not necesary
Old 09-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not needed. I have a 20 with no skimmer, but do have a HOB filter w/ two floss pads and Purigen. I also only feed every other day.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
It's not needed. I have a 20 with no skimmer, but do have a HOB filter w/ two floss pads and Purigen. I also only feed every other day.
x2 i use nls sinking pellets and only drop about 10 pellets in for feeding once a day and the hermits, shrimp and snails scoop the rest up lol but i do have regular carbon cartridges in my filter, plus 5micron polyfil
Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
What are you using for filtration?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakepen View Post
What are you using for filtration?
Powerheads, live rock, and grape caulerpa

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com