Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

athomson101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible to over skim your tank? I'm in the process of putting my shopping list together (and applying for a second martage to pay for it all) and was wondering if I should just buy the biggest skimmer I can afford?

My tank is going to be about 400 litres (125 gallons or thereabouts) and I hope to have a sump of about 50 litres underneath

Thanks.

You can't really overskim because if there is nothing to skim than there is nothing to skim and no skimate will be produced. Definately buy a good skimmer this is not something you want to go cheap on. You get what you pay for. The octopus lineup I hear is a good deal for your money and very effecient I have an aquamedic turboflotor multi 1000 I am satisfied with it.. If you are planning a sump I would recommend a in-sump style skimmer not a hang on back. I bought the multi because I wasn't sure if I was going to have a sump yet. Oh and the mortgage industry is tightening the leash on loans so If you are going to take out a second on the house You should do it now LOL

Like Fijiwigi said, you can't really overskim, but you can overspend. You can get a good skimmer for a 125 in the $200-$400 range, but you can also spend more and get a skimmer rated for a much larger tank. The bigger skimmer won't hurt, but it won't really help much more than the skimmer rated for that tank size.

I agree with what has been said. I suggest getting a skimmer that is rated for 150-200g. Find a quality skimmer. Bigger doesn't always mean better in this hobby. Look into the Octopus skimmers, Deltec (expensive) Euro-Reef, AquaC, Bubble King (very expensive) and several others. I use an ASM G4X recirc on my system. I have no complaints with the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom