Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Garbage! I've owned one.. never happy with it. I did lots of mods but it never did amount to anything decent.

I'm really impressed with the Aqua C Remoras.. I have a Pro model with a mag3 pump.

What kinda tank you have? Livestock? I picked up my used remora pro for $85 shipped. A real steal! The person I bought it from is very generous and I appreciate it. :)

You can buy a remora pro new for around $230 shipped. Try to buy one that is rated for a tank larger than your own.

You might wanna check out these too;

CPR Backpack2 - not sure on this one
Prizm - heard mixed reviews
Coralife NeedleWheel - heard some good things for the price

I have all of the info in my profile, I have the Coralife skimmer for up to a 65gl, and this is the second one, I am getting a lot of micro bubbles out of the diffuser, and what I have read on some old post here that the bubbles should not be going down the main chamber and out of the outlet tube but I have tried everything and nothing seems to be working.

How long has the skimmer been running? Might take a while to break it in... It did take a few days for my remora pro to stop spitting bubbles back into the tank.

Maybe you could try adding a sponge on the outlet... and adjusting it a bit. I've never had a coralife but I have heard some good stuff on them. Maybe some others on the forums can help.

For What Its Worth.. I found this from google.

Posted by dirtyreefer on 07/07/2005 07:12 PM:

For all you people with extra microbubbles or collection cup overflows, a fellow Canadian reefer emailed Coralife about their problem. Here is their response, which might be helpful. I found that this was my problem when I setup my 220.

Thank you, for your most recent purchase of our Coralife Super Skimmer. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our product. It does sound like the skimmer is not set up properly though. The way you wrote your email I understand that you are probably having water come out the air vent on top of the output tubing. If this is the case it sounds as if the bubble trap is not set up properly. You will want to make sure that the top of the bubble trap is at the same level as your water line of the aquarium or 1/16" above. Make sure your black sponge is on top and the white sponge is on the bottom. Then make sure the end of your outlet tubing is no more than 1/2" to 1" in the black sponge (you may have to cut the tubing). What was happening is the skimmer had back pressure on the outlet hose. Since protein skimmers are not pressurized system the only way for water to get out is through the collection cup. That is probably why you where having problems. The other item we include with the model 65 Super Skimmer is a flow control valve. If the outlet is set up properly and you are still having problems attach the flow valve to the outlet of the water pump and valve it back a little.
Is your output tubing under water? If so that could be some of the problem. The only way for water to go into the collection cup is because the output has back pressure on it and its not able to get rid of the water going in the unit. The only other problem I can think of is if you do not have the tubing going out and down right away this will also cause back pressure. The output tubing can not run horizontally. Otherwise if none of this is the problem then you can either return it to the company you bought it from or return it to us for a replacement.

HTH

from website
http://198.92.103.102/forums/printt...f5a6efe77353e3db9&threadid=624675&perpage=578

sassy, the link i gave u earlier didn't help? where are the bubbles coming from? Over the box's top? or from the box's bottom?

I have an ASM G3 Skimmer and am just starting my cycle. I can't figure out what to adjust it to. How much flow should the skimmer have?

fishfreak, Sorry that I have not responed earlier but I have out of town, but I am getting bubbles out of both the top and the bottom of the difuser box. I had sat this skimmer up on a old 10gl tank and just filled it with plan tap water and after 24hrs it was working correctly, so I disconected it w/o adjusting either of the knobs and hooked back up to my 29gl and now I have all kinds of bubbles again ugh getting frustrated with this skimmer, I have alot of bubbles in the main chamber of the skimmer and even when I turn down the venture knob I am still getting alot of bubbles into and out of the difuser box.

Skimmer will work differently from tanks to tanks, so u gotta adjust it even if it works properly in the 10G. It's normal that ur getting bubbles into the box. That's what the box is for. Its really weird that u r getting bubbles coming out from the bottom AND the top of the box tho. U have tried everything in the link i gave u? I replaced the white sponge that came with the skimmer with another sponge and it works fine for me. The white sponge clogs easily

Can I get some feedback on the Coralife Super Skimmer (Needle wheel) 33002. Thanks. I am iffy about the remora. It's looks like another Prizm skimmer-type blunder. I may be wrong

The Remora is awesome. I've had no problem with mine. It's probably the number one recommended HOB skimmer for the price.

fishfrik, Yes I have tried to adjust it again and I have replaced the pad, I guess I am just going to have to live with it for now until I can get the money for a different skimmer.

One other thought if my PH 8.0 is low and Cal is very high (630 using the Salifert test) and Alk is 3.82 (I think off of the top of my head since I am not at home at this time to check what I have written down) would this make any difference? I have posted pics of what I am talking about on this same subject.

Thanks for the help.

Well, if u've tried everything being suggested on the link on gave u and nothing work. I would say a solution for u is to get a sump and put the skimmer in there instead of getting a new skimmer. Build a good bubble trap baffle in the sump and ur problem is soved. I don't think the skimmer has anything to do with ur low PH and high Ca. It actually keeps the Ca low lol.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom